Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Should BCIT bring back the wiki?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
90.00%
9 90.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Maybe
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Bring back the wiki?

Ellislab did away with the CodeIgniter wiki a couple of years ago (or maybe longer) and I really hated that decision. If you're not familiar with the wiki, it was a place where CodeIgniter users could list their projects, and they were categorized. It was really nice, and similar to the way WordPress handles plugins, or jQuery was handling plugins. Everything was just right there under one roof, and it was better.

You might say, well what about Sparks? Sparks takes CodeIgniter users off the CodeIgniter website, and also makes them use the proprietary sparks package management system. The old wiki just had all kinds of goodies, and sometimes even if the code you would find was old, you could at least modify it to make it work.

I don't know if anyone else found the CodeIgniter wiki userful, but I hope BCIT will think about making a new one.

I certainly found the Ellislabs wiki useful and would welcome an "officially" supported version under BCIT.

Yes, I do recognize the the time and human resource limitation of the BCIT team.

Perhaps a group of code developers could be authorized to maintain such a CI wiki?
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

(06-21-2015, 12:28 PM)gadelat Wrote: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/wiki

The current github based wiki is a joke... I personally don't like github's wiki, it's hard to use and find useful stuff.

(06-21-2015, 12:28 PM)gadelat Wrote: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/wiki

It forces somebody to use Github, know how to use git, and takes them away from the CodeIgniter website. I have a Github account and use git daily, but it's obvious that many people decided not to move their wiki entry to Github, and so the wiki has almost no content. Sure, keep the wiki there for archival purposes (which is something that Ellislab didn't do), but I say bring back the old wiki, revise it, or do whatever it takes.

Surely many people will want to use git for their wiki entry's repository, but allowing us to have a wiki page here on the CodeIgniter website would be beneficial. Some may prefer bitbucket, Google Code, mercurial, self hosted, etc, etc.

(06-21-2015, 03:24 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

It forces somebody to use Github, know how to use git, and takes them away from the CodeIgniter website. I have a Github account and use git daily, but it's obvious that many people decided not to move their wiki entry to Github, and so the wiki has almost no content. Sure, keep the wiki there for archival purposes (which is something that Ellislab didn't do), but I say bring back the old wiki, revise it, or do whatever it takes.

Surely many people will want to use git for their wiki entry's repository, but allowing us to have a wiki page here on the CodeIgniter website would be beneficial. Some may prefer bitbucket, Google Code, mercurial, self hosted, etc, etc.

You don't need to know how to use git to use the wiki (or even a significant amount of Github's functionality), and Github has been the best place to keep track of what's going on in CI's development for several years. No matter where a wiki is hosted, you can still choose to host your own project(s) wherever you wish.

(06-22-2015, 07:24 AM)mwhitney Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 03:24 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

You don't need to know how to use git to use the wiki (or even a significant amount of Github's functionality), and Github has been the best place to keep track of what's going on in CI's development for several years. No matter where a wiki is hosted, you can still choose to host your own project(s) wherever you wish.

Are you actually familiar with the old wiki? If you are, and you compare it to the new wiki, I think you'd have to be honest and say that the new wiki is super weak.

(06-22-2015, 09:01 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Are you actually familiar with the old wiki? If you are, and you compare it to the new wiki, I think you'd have to be honest and say that the new wiki is super weak.

It would probably be more helpful to give valid examples of what would allow a wiki to be more useful if it were hosted on codeigniter.com rather than github. The old wiki was shut down shortly after I started using CodeIgniter, but I think the weakness of the wiki on github is due to a lack of use, rather than lack of features.

I understand the basic issue of having some things on github and some on codeigniter.com, but I think those types of issues are easily mitigated (for example, by linking people to the appropriate location).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB