Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
FuelCMS vs IgnitedCMS

Hi,

Just recently I found FuelCMS from a link on this forum. Then I noticed IgnitedCMS in someones footer. Anyone used both? Could anyone offer any insights into which might be the one to go through the learning curve with.

I used to use Etomite CMS extensively in the past but it had its problems although I loved it and the community, but it sadly died and is no longer available. I tried ModX (orignially a port of Etomite) but quite honestly euurrghhh!

These days I write limited backends for people specifically for what they need to do, yet I often find myself thinking 'why am I doing this when I could use a CMS'. I know why really, they are often bulky, clunky, inflexible, limited and create more work than they solve. Usually I use them for my own convenience and build seperate backends for the users to integrate with the hidden CMS (hope that makes sense).

However, I am tempted to go back to a CMS following a recent Wordpress site built and live in literally a few hours, that the non technical users are flying with, and I was so impressed by that I am rethinking my approach. Now personally I dislike wordpress but as a blogging platform it is pretty spectacular.

So to save me lots of time trying out the Fuel or Ignited, doing the learning curve and practice sites, discovering limitations etc on my own, can anyone offer any advice about the pros and cons of both or either. I must say that Fuel looks great and I am veering in that direction, but am worried it might turn out to be a bit like ModX, the last CMS I used for a site and truly regret. In fact only half of that site now is powered by modx and the other half by CI (after many problems trying to get the two to play nicely with each other - problems on the ModX side, not CI).

Any input would be gratefully received from people that have used either with a non-technical user base. I really like the idea of a CI based CMS, hoping it will give me all the control and flexibility of CI.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

PS I never tried PyroCMS and now it's gone Lara, glad I didn't.

I've got no idea what FuelCMS is, but IgnitedCMS is authored by one of our fellow forum users ... seems like his/her pet project.

(08-21-2015, 01:57 PM)Narf Wrote: I've got no idea what FuelCMS is, but IgnitedCMS is authored by one of our fellow forum users ... seems like his/her pet project.

Yes, that is probably the persons footer I saw the link in.

And I realize both are probably very good, just thought I would get a heads up on them before investing time into one of them.

Fuel is:  http://www.getfuelcms.com/

Can't find a website for ignitedCMS but here is the github repository: 
https://github.com/ignitedcms/ignitedcms

Next week I will probably pick one to have a go with. Was hoping for some help in the choice, and certainly not meaning any disrespect to either of them.

Hi I am the author of IgnitedCMS. Unfortunately, it is in it's beta phases, so a few bugs may exist and it isn't documented thoroughly. It may be wise to go with fuelCMS as it more complete at the moment.

But stay tuned there are a lot of refinements to come and I am constantly working on enhancements.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

I admire the effort and appreciate the amount of work involved. Will definitely stay tuned. Didn't get time to try either out yet but will do next time it is appropriate to do so. Today I have quarterly accounts to do and am balancing my ruler on a stapler because it is more interesting.

Thanks for the reply though and I am genuinely looking forward to trying your CMS out - when I finally get this darned ruler to balance :-)

Best wishes,

Paul.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2015, 11:37 AM by RobertSF.)

Paul, although the CMS I'm about to suggest is not based on Codeigniter, I think it may fit what you were looking for. It's lightweight, and it does not have a built-in blogging pattern. It's basically a CMS built upon a bare-bones framework that still manages to include Observer, Dispatcher, Active Record, and View classes. Also, extending the CMS itself is easy. Anyway, it's called Wolf CMS http://wolfcms.org/ For actual applications, I use Codeigniter, but for websites that just display information, I much prefer Wolf over WordPress.
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

Thanks, I will definitely take a look when the time is right.

Best wishes,

Paul

look like FuelCMS built from CogeIgniter 2

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB