Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Tutorial, News, Case sensitive

Hi

I am trying to learn CodeIgniter, so I started with the tutorial.

I already managed to complete the static pages and news displaying part.

However, the News section is case sensitive and that bothers me.

When I go localhost/ci/news - it works
however, if I write localhost/ci/News - it shows 404
if I link to a concrete news post with lowercase letters without the view part- news/firstpost - it works
if I link to a concrete news post with different sized letters without the view part- nEws/firstpost - it shows 404

and finally
if I link to a conrete news post -news/view/firstpost - it works
if I link to a concrete news post with different sized letters - nEws/view/firstpost - it also works

As for Pages - they are not case sensitive (meaning About, about or even AbouT works)

Everything I did so far is copy paste code from tutorial.

I am lost and don't know how to make News case insensitive.

I am not sure what the problem you are solving is, but if I go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer it works fine and if I go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayeR it does not. This is just how URL's are.

If you need to make a variable sent in the controller/method/variable url format, case insensitive, just us strtolower() on the variable before using it, so everything is made lower case.

Why does case sensitivity bother you?

Best wishes,

Paul.

If you want URL like nEws/view/firstpost, you have to modify CodeIgniter core class, haven't you?
It is against CodeIgniter conventions.

Quote:As for Pages - they are not case sensitive (meaning About, about or even AbouT works)

You are using case insentive file system (eg, Mac OS X or Windows). If you use case sensitive file system (eg, Linux), it won't work.

You can make the route for news case-insensitive, but you have to use a RegEx. For example, you could use:
PHP Code:
$route['(?i)(news)'] = 'news'

but you'd have to add additional routes for the supported segments to maintain that case-insensitivity for news/firstpost, news/view/firstpost, etc.

Honestly, with over 100 potential 1st segments for the URLs on my website, I only have one route setup like this, and I didn't bother with setting up the additional segments after I pointed out to the person who complained that they couldn't do this with URLs that they had spelled a word incorrectly in addition to putting capital letters where they didn't belong.

Despite our desire to have easy-to-read URLs (which also happen to be SEO-friendly), most people never input URLs manually, so this rarely matters. In my opinion, though, it's better to be consistent than permissive with URLs.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB