Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
HHVM

Anyone used or played around with HHVM to increase performance? Or used Phalcon?

Just wondering but the idea of a JIT compiler brings back horrible reminders of java. Big Grin

If you don't know what HHVM is google (HHVM PHP)

Discuss.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

Nobody?

No, never had the need, sorry. The fact it is owned by Facebook would annoy me though. Not sure why but I cannot help but feel that if Google or Facebook can own the language the web is written in, they would somehow find a way to abuse that. However, I am probably way out on a limb here in a dusty void of paranoia all of my own making. But what happens when FB decides that all future development will no longer be open source but licenced on a commercial basis. I just don't trust the motivations of a purely commercial venture.

For the one situation I experienced of a site having performance issues due to the demand, it was easily solved by simply increasing the power of the server it was sitting on. Of course when you come to sites anywhere near the demands faced by FB or Google et al, I am sure this makes much more sense.

Generally speaking though, PHP is not the only language, and this is definitely a case where more is better. The more languages around taking different approaches can be nothing but a good thing for the future of PHP.

Paul.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 09:49 AM by orionstar.)

HHVM is PHP runtime environment just like Zend Engine 2 in vanilla PHP, but HHVM is created by facebook. In case of PHP7, the engine was changed to PHPNG and AFAIK the performance on PHP7 almost identical with HHVM or even better in some case...

I have PhalconPHP projects, because I have a partner who expect the use of Phalcon. Phalcon is a framework just like CodeIgniter but it's written as a PHP extension in C. The core framework is very fast, but if you use Composer to load packages or if you have write lots of custom code in PHP you lose the speed. They have a solution to this called Zephir, it's a programming language similar to PHP but the code can be compiled to C extensions.

I not recommend either HHVM or PhalconPHP. If you learn and apply advanced techniques (eg. Hack, Zephir) of these technologies you will close yourself into their ecosystem and your code lose interoperability and portability. If you have a client job and they have a hosting provider or a strict environment you can't run your custom stuff...

If you need high performance solutions then use opcode cache, PHP 7, memcached and other caching techniques and it will be as fast as the above mentioned stuff.

Read this article: http://blog.hashsolutions.in/web/php-7-p...uture-php/ It's a pretty good summary...

Thanks Orion. I had misunderstood the Hack language.

That link was a great read - thanks again.

Paul

PS This is fascinating stuff and I really enjoy reading about it but it is in practical terms way out my league :-)

That's definitely food for thought, I also didn't like the idea of using something that couldn't be installed on shared hosting as a lot of websites tend to be on shared hosting.
I was tinkering with google go and the revel framework and was suitably impressed by its concurrency model, however, the framework didn't seem mature enough and again the portability issue with shared hosting was kinda a dealbreaker.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB