Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
E-commerce

How best to design a generic e-commerce backend which allows users the ability to easily theme their front ends.

Like creating cart functions such as addToCart(), proceedToGateway() etc.

Any ideas welcome.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

For my own use, I created a WordPress custom post type to handle adding products and product categories. It makes for a very easily managed store. Then I use CI to display the products, and for cart, checkout, order management, and customer area, because CI is way better for real programming. I've mentioned this before here and got responses that people hated the idea. I've made a lot of double application type websites, and it allows for getting the best of more than one application. Pre-routing handled by .htaccess makes it super simple.

Thanks Skunkbad, that is a really great idea so I don't know why people would be averse to utilizing two applications. However, my intention is for a generic e-commerce module for my own CMS ignitedCMS Pro. So unfortunately, I can't use wordpress.

I think I'm going to create some basic functions for dumping the products by category and then having an add to cart function, with no html styling. That way the end user can style their shop how they see fit.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB