Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
integration with an existing php site

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi There,

I'm just evaluating CI, and one of the selling points that i've read about CI, is that it is a lot more flexible than most MVC frameworks. However, I can't work out how to use it for the following:-

I have an existing fairly complex php site with legacy CMS that I want to add some new functionality to using CI - a "snippet" content type, which consists of a simple block of editable text, which will be used in various pages throughout the site. I can create the most of this within a subfolder where CI will be installed, but I can't use CI views for the existing pages - I just want to be able to hook into the relevant libraries of CI from my external php pages so I can take advantage of ActiveRecord and some of the helpers.

Is there any way to "bootstrap" CI functionality from within a php page that hasn't been called by a CI controller/ view?

Apologies if this has already been answered - I did search the forum and found someone asking a similar question, but they were encouraged to create a view for all of the existing pages - I think my site will be too complex to work in that way (or it is it? - it has fairly convoluted session/ querystring/ forms etc). There's no budget for a complete rebuild unfortunately!

Alternatively I just use regular php to do the front end rendering outside of the CI architecture.

Any pointers appreciated!

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I've just found an example of what I was looking for:-

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Calling_CI_m...de_script/

will try that Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB