Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Will CI change with next EE

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
The next big rev of EE is not going to be backwards compatible, just wondering if CI is being rewritten at the same time and will not be compatible. I am in the midst of diving into CI, I would hate to invest all the time to understand it's inner workings and then have to learn a whole new system.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think we have to wait for the announcement at SXSW to know for sure what's in store for CIs future.
It's a bit like Macworld, who has the first rumors Wink

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Oh, ok. Did not know there was something going on @ SXSW. I can wait a few weeks Smile

[eluser]ejangi[/eluser]
I could be completely wrong as I'm just speculating... But, from the little bits and peices I've picked up I think the idea is that EE is getting rewritten so it RUNS on CI. But, don't quote me on that of course. Tongue

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Just reading up on the EE2.0 announcements from SXSW. Was anything said about CI? Will it get new features too?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
What was the line from today (at SXSW)?

"If EE needs it, CI gets it." I think that was it.

So, imagine building EE with CI. Imagine what libs you'd have to create, which ones would need to improve. That's the CI we will get. I can't wait!

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
We don't know much, but CI was originally just the spin-off from EE. CI continued to improve and mature -- it's easy to do this when it's a free product that businesses don't depend on -- while EE fell behind. The code bases forked a bit and 2.0 is intended to reunite them: EE is now expected to be built with CI. That means you could (according to Derek A.) drop EE on top of your CI app, which is amazing. It also means a lot of the sloppy EE code is going to be cleaned up, be a tighter MVC product -- all good news. Also, rumor has it jQuery will be the official EE/CI library, which is amazingly good news. I was worried they might be tempted to go with an inferior DOM library Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB