Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can not get localhost

I can not get http://localhost/ anymore.

I have recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 in the belief that it will be faster, yeah right, joke joke. I had no complaints with WinXP.

I think that upgrade has caused the problem with http://localhost/ but I don' know where to start looking to rectify the problem. I have tried 3 browsers.

Can anybody help?

Hi, I am running Windows 10 also and had the same problem when I installed my XAMPP. I was able to solve it by uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM by skunkbad. Edit Reason: more info )

(01-31-2016, 09:59 AM)christaliise Wrote: I can not get http://localhost/ anymore.

I have recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 in the belief that it will be faster, yeah right, joke joke. I had no complaints with WinXP.

I think that upgrade has caused the problem with http://localhost/ but I don' know where to start looking to rectify the problem. I have tried 3 browsers.

Can anybody help?

Unless you need Windows for some reason, using a Linux desktop OS will provide a better overall experience, and a far better development environment. I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu, but if your computer is old (because it used to have XP so I am just guessing), then you might try Lubuntu. Lubuntu is a very light version of Ubuntu.

The greatest benefit to using a Linux OS is that you will have a LAMP stack that runs in the native environment, and a match to the production environment (hosted website(s) are generally on Linux). Most Linux distributions have installers that will allow you to set them up as a dual boot with Windows, if for some reason the Live CD isn't convincing you to abandon Windows altogether.

Last, pretty much every software you could want for design and development is available for Linux (and for free), and if you need Windows you can just run it in VirtualBox. At this point, I only need the virtual environment for Photoshop and Illustrator, and since I am not really a designer but more of a developer, I very rarely need to start it up.

Couple of pointers:
- try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost
- if it doesn't work make sure you have IIS installed and running
- make sure it's configured to respond to localhost domain

(01-31-2016, 11:34 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: Hi, I am running Windows 10 also and had the same problem when I installed my XAMPP. I was able to solve it by uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times.

Thanks InsiteFX, I've uninstalled & installed 2 times and still having problems. It appears as if Apache is my problem. When I click "Start" it goes for a few seconds then stops. I get these errors - Port 80 in use by "Unable to open process" with PID 4! Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free! You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port - Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly. This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies, improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.

I have little idea of what all of that means.

(01-31-2016, 11:48 AM)skunkbad Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 09:59 AM)christaliise Wrote: I can not get http://localhost/ anymore.

Can anybody help?

Unless you need Windows for some reason, using a Linux desktop OS will provide a better overall experience, and a far better development environment. I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu, but if your computer is old (because it used to have XP so I am just guessing), then you might try Lubuntu. Lubuntu is a very light version of Ubuntu.

The greatest benefit to using a Linux OS is that you will have a LAMP stack that runs in the native environment, and a match to the production environment (hosted website(s) are generally on Linux). Most Linux distributions have installers that will allow you to set them up as a dual boot with Windows, if for some reason the Live CD isn't convincing you to abandon Windows altogether.

Last, pretty much every software you could want for design and development is available for Linux (and for free), and if you need Windows you can just run it in VirtualBox. At this point, I only need the virtual environment for Photoshop and Illustrator, and since I am not really a designer but more of a developer, I very rarely need to start it up.

Thanks Skunkbad, yes my faith in Microsoft products is now rapidly diminishing, whereas before I never looked past MS. I have investigated Linux and seriously considering your recommendations, however I have learned that Linux does take some time to learn, and I'm not sure if that learning time is greater than the time I waste on MS products.

We do want to operate the intended website on our own server and aware of most servers are operated in Linux. We have advertised to buy a web server locally, new or used, but as yet we have not had any offers.

Please read my reply to InsiteFX as my problem does appear to be with Apache failing to continue to run.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM by christaliise.)

(01-31-2016, 07:15 PM)siburny Wrote: Couple of pointers:
- try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost
- if it doesn't work make sure you have IIS installed and running
- make sure it's configured  to respond to localhost domain

Thanks siburny, I have tried 127.0.0.1 but it makes no difference. I am rapidly loosing faith in MS products and I think my solution would be to disable IIS so that Apache can operate. But I don't know how to do that yet.

Please read my reply to InsiteFX as my problem does appear to be with Apache failing to continue to run.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM by InsiteFX.)

Another thing to try:

Windows 10 and localhost is blank

When upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft turns on "World Wide Web Publishing Service" by default which uses port: 80

1) Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
2) Find “World Wide Web Publishing Service”
3) Right click and select “Stop”
4) Right click and select “Properties”, then change “Startup type” to “Manual”

You should then be able to start up DesktopServer.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 07:32 PM by christaliise.)

(02-02-2016, 09:02 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: Another thing to try:

Windows 10 and localhost is blank

When upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft turns on "World Wide Web Publishing Service" by default which uses port: 80

1) Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
2) Find “World Wide Web Publishing Service”
3) Right click and select “Stop”
4) Right click and select “Properties”, then change “Startup type” to “Manual”

You should then be able to start up DesktopServer.

Thanks, I edited my previous reply before I read this latest recommendation. It appears as if your latest recommendations should stop IIS.

Yes, Apache is now working. However I'm getting results of "Objects not found" but I think I've had that problem before so I'll research my files to get that to work.

Uninstalling & installing was not a good thing to do. I have lost many files despite restoring however I'll try restore again at an earlier time. Having said that now that I have Apache running, I continue to get "http://localhost/xampp/" each time I enter "http://localhost/" or any other addon. I have inserted the old htdocs folder but it appears as if it is some other external adjustment I need to make. Have you got any suggestions?

07/02/16
I've restored again and recovered the lost files, however I can't get Apache to continue to run. When I click "Start" it runs for a short time then stops. World Wide Web Publishing Service is not running. Nor do I have Skype running. I've tried changing port numbers in 2 files but that does not make it work. I've clicked apache_installservice and that does not make it work.

I'm now exhausted of ideas. Can anybody help?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB