Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Joomla and WP hackers

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct section, so sorry if it needs to be moved to somewhere else.

I am getting a lot of 404 errors in my logs from vulnerabilty hackers, but these are all for different CMS systems. I would like to know how people handle these. I would like a clean logs file with errors only important to my website.

Is there an easy way to filter out all these 404 errors?

Thanks

Hey... not sure what you mean. Are you talking about your visitors' log? It should only show errors about your website, though I realize not every error is actually important. On my own website, I have cPanel, and I get a lot of stuff I don't care about in my visitors log.

[Image: 2016_02_04_10_59_25_c_Panel_X.gif]

All those requests for /wp-login.php are hack attempts, and cPanel does not give me a way to eliminate them. I can't type -/wp-login.php in the search box. Well, I can, but it doesn't work. So the only way I can filter them out is to download the logs and use Excel.

Seriously, these hack attempts add a good 500 MB a month of traffic, and my host says there's no way they can reject the connection requests before they hit my site. The above picture is actually not very representative. I've had people using some sort of bot to hit my site 200 times per minute for hours, and the support people tell me that no, they have no way of blocking someone on the fly who's clearly using software to attack a site. So I'm moving hosts.
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

(02-04-2016, 12:12 PM)RobertSF Wrote: Hey... not sure what you mean. Are you talking about your visitors' log? It should only show errors about your website, though I realize not every error is actually important. On my own website, I have cPanel, and I get a lot of stuff I don't care about in my visitors log.

[Image: 2016_02_04_10_59_25_c_Panel_X.gif]

All those requests for /wp-login.php are hack attempts, and cPanel does not give me a way to eliminate them. I can't type -/wp-login.php in the search box. Well, I can, but it doesn't work. So the only way I can filter them out is to download the logs and use Excel.

Seriously, these hack attempts add a good 500 MB a month of traffic, and my host says there's no way they can reject the connection requests before they hit my site. The above picture is actually not very representative. I've had people using some sort of bot to hit my site 200 times per minute for hours, and the support people tell me that no, they have no way of blocking someone on the fly who's clearly using software to attack a site. So I'm moving hosts.

I have cPanel too, but I am talking about log files in Codeigniter. I have logging enabled to track possible errors or 404 errors that do apply to my website.
But I am also getting 100's of 404 errors from hack attempts. I would like to see only real errors and 404 errors that do apply to my website.

If you block access to those non existing files from within your .htaccess file they wont reach your Codeigniter application and your logs will stay clean:

Code:
<Files wp-login.php>
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from all
</Files>

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB