Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Volunteers wanted for pilot course

As many of you are aware, I teach a webapp development course at BCIT. One of my goals is to eventually share my material with the CI community, as an additional set of resources for learning CodeIgniter. To that end, I am looking for four guinea pigs volunteers to participate in a pilot of this, from January 6th through April 17th 2015.

I will be giving this course to four sections of BCIT full-time students in the Computer Systems Technology diploma program. Most of them will have completed the first three levels of their four level program. I expect students taking my course to be reasonably proficient with programming in Java and/or C, and somewhat proficient with O-O programming and patterns in general. I do not expect them to be proficient with PHP, though that can be a help.

Over 14 weeks, the course has twelve lessons (Tuesdays), nine 2-hour labs and 3 assignments (each with a 2-hour lab period to work on them). Each lab has one or more tutorials, and then an individual exercise applying them, to be handed in for feedback and grading. The assignments build a CI webapp, in three stages, as a team project. The full-time students get a midterm exam and a final exam. Labs and assignments will be completed using github.

What I expect from volunteers for the pilot:
- read the lessons, provide feedback for each
- work through the tutorials, provide feedback for each
- complete the labs, provide feedback for each
- complete the assignments as a team, providing back for each

The feedback I am looking for concerns the appropriateness of the materials as a self-paced CI learning resource for distance learners.
I expect the time commitment to be in the order of 4-5 hours per week.
I do not expect the volunteers to write the exams, though they are welcome to.

I will review submissions, and provide feedback and a grade, like for my full-time students.
You will not get academic credit for any of this, but definitely my thanks, and recognition on the forum if you "pass".

Please email me, to "apply", if you are interested!
James Parry
Project Lead

Wonderful.hope more people can join volunteer team.
Q&A for Codeigniter
StartBBS--open-source, light weight forum software.
Best VPS:Digital Ocean

James we spoke before and I saw your email - I would love to help out - apply

Hi James,

Not sure if you are looking for volunteers only within BCIT, but as someone with a coding background who is starting on a journey of web development using CI, I'd be very interesting in being a guinea pig, or as simply a reviewer of the material.

(01-04-2015, 01:21 AM)mjc Wrote: Hi James,

Not sure if you are looking for volunteers only within BCIT, but as someone with a coding background who is starting on a journey of web development using CI, I'd be very interesting in being a guinea pig, or as simply a reviewer of the material.

I am shooting for a representative set worldwide, not just BCIT! Send me an email Smile

(12-31-2014, 04:30 AM)jlp Wrote: As many of you are aware, I teach a webapp development course at BCIT. One of my goals is to eventually share my material with the CI community, as an additional set of resources for learning CodeIgniter. To that end, I am looking for four guinea pigs volunteers to participate in a pilot of this, from January 6th through April 17th 2015.

I will be giving this course to four sections of BCIT full-time students in the Computer Systems Technology diploma program. Most of them will have completed the first three levels of their four level program. I expect students taking my course to be reasonably proficient with programming in Java and/or C, and somewhat proficient with O-O programming and patterns in general. I do not expect them to be proficient with PHP, though that can be a help.

Over 14 weeks, the course has twelve lessons (Tuesdays), nine 2-hour labs and 3 assignments (each with a 2-hour lab period to work on them). Each lab has one or more tutorials, and then an individual exercise applying them, to be handed in for feedback and grading. The assignments build a CI webapp, in three stages, as a team project. The full-time students get a midterm exam and a final exam. Labs and assignments will be completed using github.

The feedback I am looking for concerns the appropriateness of the materials as a self-paced CI learning resource for distance learners.

I will review submissions, and provide feedback and a grade, like for my full-time students.
You will not get academic credit for any of this, but definitely my thanks, and recognition on the forum if you "pass".

Hi James,

I am interested to volunteer for your need in teaching codeigniter.

May you have a Great New Year and Great Year onward for CodeIgniter.

I am very glad that codeigniter, my favorite PHP framework, is now with BCIT. I am an Accountant (designated from the Philippines) and a Computer enthusiast, programming/developing custom accounting system.

I used to be an Asst. Professor, teaching IT related business courses in the University of the Philippines - Visayas before coming to Canada in 2006. I have been introduced to codeignter around 2009, but I don't have the chance to use it. But now, with 3 projects I am facing, I am returning to codeigniter.

I am also busy with my work as an Accountant and small consulting, but with inner joy of sharing knowledge to others, I am eager to help you in your materials.

Best regards,
Wink

Our pilot program is fully subscribed Smile

Thanks to all those who offered to help, but whose offers we could not take up!

I will provide an interim report on the pilot project in March, and a final report in April.
If the pilot works well, then we can look at opening the resource up to the community at large Cool

(12-31-2014, 04:30 AM)jlp Wrote: As many of you are aware, I teach a webapp development course at BCIT. One of my goals is to eventually share my material with the CI community, as an additional set of resources for learning CodeIgniter. To that end, I am looking for four guinea pigs volunteers to participate in a pilot of this, from January 6th through April 17th 2015.

Hi Mr. James

I am interested to volunteer for your need in teaching codeigniter. I would be very happy if I have a chance to work across the country and can share or more experiences on Code Igniter.

My name is Andoyo, a web design and web programming lecturer at Bina Insani School of Information Technology (www.binainsani.ac.id) in Indonesia and web developer in my own company Java Web Media (www.javawebmedia).

I have done some projects that used Code Igniter 3. Now, I'm writing a book about Code Igniter 3.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much

You will have to wait for the next round, I am afraid. The post immediately above yours explains.

Hi there,

This sounds like something I would be interested in. Where do I sign up Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB