Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Project Update - Dec 31st, 2014

Here is a summary of what has been happening and what is planned for the CodeIgniter project, since BCIT took it over.

What has been accomplished during the last quarter of 2014:

* The CodeIgniter project and its intellectual property were transferred from EllisLab to BCIT.
* I assumed the role of project lead for CodeIgniter.
* BCIT provisioned and secured a server, to host our informational site and forums.
* An interim council has been put in place, to provide governance for the project. Thank you Andreas, Andrey, Ben, David, Johannes and Lonnie!
* A security group has been put in place, to address any vulnerabilities that arise. Thank you Andrey, Ben and Debasis!
* Our source code repository has seen a surge of issues and pull requests raised. Thank you Andrey!
* Our website has been redone. Thank you Lonnie, Michal and Ray!
* Our new MyBB forum is in place, spam-free. Thank you Johannes and Lonnie!
* The CI3 user guide has been beefed up & re-styled. Thank you David!
* The CI3 system messages translations repository has been created, with almost 20 languages provided for so far.

What is in progress as the new year begins:

* CodeIgniter Version 3 is almost ready. Feature code has been completed, and finishing touches are being made to the documentation.
* The user guide navigation is being enhanced, by popular request; we are trying to replicate the navigation style of the much praised CodeIgniter 2 user guide.
* Our wiki has had a number of revisions; that process is ongoing.

What is planned for the first quarter of 2015:

* I plan to provide monthly/quarterly project updates (starting with this one).
* We plan to hold monthly "office hours", scheduled on IRC, with one or more of the council in the channel to answer questions; the first of these will be held in early January.
* We are working on a framework roadmap, with process for versioning, releases, and features; the community will be consulted!
* We are participating in the Winter 2015 UCOSP projects; I will be mentoring a team of four students.
* I am piloting experimenting with the open-sourcing of my webapp course at BCIT, which should eventually provide a set of tutorials for CI; I have called for four guinea pigs volunteers for this, in a separate announcement on the forum Undecided
* Email hosting (for codeigniter.com) is in place; we are waiting for MX records to be updated, and will announce the email addresses on the forum.

Thank you, the CodeIgniter community, for your support and engagement!
I look forward to good things for CodeIgniter in 2015, as I am sure do you.
James Parry
Project Lead

good job!!
Q&A for Codeigniter
StartBBS--open-source, light weight forum software.
Best VPS:Digital Ocean

That's a very good idea you had there jlp ! I was wondering if some day we could follow or even act in CI life. Thanks for the great job with it !

Happy New Year to everyone !

Glad to see CI moving forward positively.

You mentioned that feature code has been completed and the finishing touches are being done on the documentation. Does that mean that v3 is more or less stable and we can expect an official release within a week or so?

Also a happy and prosperous new year to all.

(01-01-2015, 03:34 PM)decimoe Wrote: Glad to see CI moving forward positively.

You mentioned that feature code has been completed and the finishing touches are being done on the documentation. Does that mean that v3 is more or less stable and we can expect an official release within a week or so?

Also a happy and prosperous new year to all.

V3 is more or less stable, yes.

You can expect an official release candidate when we are ready, but we are not committing to a specific date!

Excellent work, all of you!

This is the best news I have had in some time! Thank You to everyone that has helped make this transition and are continuing the development of Codeigniter.

Great work so far and the plans look good. Whilst I appreciate you are all busy, may I suggest that the forum adopts a mobile friendly theme too? Most of my time I spend on forums is when I'm out and about, hopping between buses and trains, spending time on my phone. It doesn't have to be immediate but it'll just be the icing on the cake. Wink
Jamie Bond
Full time International Development undergraduate.
Part time website developer.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 12:30 PM by no1youknowz.)

(01-01-2015, 05:22 PM)ciadmin Wrote: You can expect an official release candidate when we are ready, but we are not committing to a specific date!

The longer you postpone CI 3 release date.

The longer you push discussion of CI 4 and then its eventual release date.

It's 2015. Gimme a break. Tongue

Will we see a 2016 release of CI 4? Wink

(01-04-2015, 09:40 AM)Jamie Wrote: Great work so far and the plans look good. Whilst I appreciate you are all busy, may I suggest that the forum adopts a mobile friendly theme too? Most of my time I spend on forums is when I'm out and about, hopping between buses and trains, spending time on my phone. It doesn't have to be immediate but it'll just be the icing on the cake. Wink

Great idea, but the theming comes from MyBB, and messing with its CSS is not for the weak at heart!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB