Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 3 Development after v4 release?

Maybe this has been previously discussed. Once v4 is released (and I know this is a ways away), are there currently plans to keep v3 alive? Will v3 continue active development?

(04-26-2016, 03:22 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Maybe this has been previously discussed. Once v4 is released (and I know this is a ways away), are there currently plans to keep v3 alive? Will v3 continue active development?

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned, but, yes, the 3.x branch will stay alive for a while. At the very least with security fixes. I don't think we've pinned down all of the details there, yet, honestly.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it's been 20 months since my initial post, and wondering if there is more information. It seems that v4 is coming soon, and knowing what will happen to v3 is important to me.

I can't find the original roadmap thread that mentioned this, but yes - it will have active support for at least a year. And "active support" means not just security fixes, but I don't know what you mean by "active development".

I mean ... We'd have to discontinue it eventually - don't think that you'd be running it forever - but version 4 is a rewrite, so we know that adoption would take more time.

Thanks for the answer. I know I won’t be using it forever, but it’s a big transition for me. Maybe I’m just too comfortable with v3.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB