Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2016, 07:12 PM by ciadmin.)

Hi Skunkbad, I recall a while ago you saying that you use Linux OS. Is it Linux alone or one of the Distributions such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc you use?

The reason for me asking is that I've decided to buy a new laptop & chosen Lenovo G40-80 with DOS, no windows. I have read https://www.linux.com/what-is-linux and understand most of the websites around the world run on Linux and that being the case I feel it best for me to learn Linux at this early stage and develop my site in the same, but I'm having difficulty in finding where I can download it from. The Linux Forum members are recommending one of the distributions. It appears LAMP (which does not mention Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Etc.) is the right package, plus I'll need a browser such as Firefox, and then I can move forward. If I can only get Linux alone and can't get the LAMP package I think I'd be able to install Apache MySQL and PHP but I'll need a browser to obtain those.

I use Ubuntu, and it's a great Linux distribution for beginners. Linux itself is just the kernel, so you cant just install it by itself. LAMP can be installed on just about any Linux distro, but Ubuntu 16.04 (just released) has PHP7 available, and thats kind of a big deal for me. I've tried a lot of distros, and I prefer Ubuntu because of the Unity desktop, and the overall polishing of the OS.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2016, 12:39 AM by christaliise.)

(04-28-2016, 11:19 PM)skunkbad Wrote: I use Ubuntu, and it's a great Linux distribution for beginners. Linux itself is just the kernel, so you cant just install it by itself. LAMP can be installed on just about any Linux distro, but Ubuntu 16.04 (just released) has PHP7 available, and thats kind of a big deal for me. I've tried a lot of distros, and I prefer Ubuntu because of the Unity desktop, and the overall polishing of the OS.

OK, it appears as if Ubuntu I'll go with. Do you know anything about Linux Mint?

Does Ubuntu have Firefox available?

As a matter of interest when the building of the site is ready to go online, is the server loaded with the Linux Kernel? By the way I have bought an old server so I'll need to learn about that at some stage.

(04-28-2016, 11:42 PM)christaliise Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 11:19 PM)skunkbad Wrote: I use Ubuntu, and it's a great Linux distribution for beginners. Linux itself is just the kernel, so you cant just install it by itself. LAMP can be installed on just about any Linux distro, but Ubuntu 16.04 (just released) has PHP7 available, and thats kind of a big deal for me. I've tried a lot of distros, and I prefer Ubuntu because of the Unity desktop, and the overall polishing of the OS.

OK, it appears as if Ubuntu I'll go with. Do you know anything about Linux Mint?

As a matter of interest when the building of the site is ready to go online, is the server loaded with the Linux Kernel? By the way I have bought an old server so I'll need to learn about that at some stage.

I didn't like Linux Mint, only because the interface was too hard on my eyes. I'm too old.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox, so you can start using it immediately.

If you want to use the Desktop version of Ubuntu to host a production website, there are probably some things to do, but since I only use my Desktop for development, I'm not sure exactly what to tell you. In my opinion, when you're ready to go to production, you may be better off purchasing hosting. I say this because there are a lot of issues that a datacenter or host helps with. Such as, what they heck do you do if you are getting attacked by DDOS? If you can handle such things, then by all means host your own site.

Chistaliise

I don't understand why you cannot download Linux distribution files, please explain in detail.

Most Linux systems have a download .iso file, about 1.5 Gig. I prefer downloading a small, free utility that converts and makes a bootable thumb drive.

Your bios will require changing so that your computer boots from the thumb drive. Linux will then run in memory and different Linux systems tried before installing to your computer.

I am developing on Linux Mint 17.3 and also using Ubuntu 16.04. The latter seems to be more advanced and the former a good introduction to using Linux.

A spinoff is that after a few months it was relatively easy to change from a managed host to a Virtual Private Server. The latter is faster and a fraction of the monthly cost.

(04-29-2016, 05:58 PM)John_Betong Wrote: Chistaliise

I don't understand why you cannot download Linux distribution files, please explain in detail.

Most Linux systems have a download .iso file, about 1.5 Gig. I prefer downloading a small, free utility that converts and makes a bootable thumb drive.

Your bios will require changing so that your computer boots from the thumb drive. Linux will then run in memory and different Linux systems tried before installing to your computer.

I am developing on Linux Mint 17.3 and also using Ubuntu 16.04. The latter seems to be more advanced and the former a good introduction to using Linux.

A spinoff is that after a few months it was relatively easy to change from a managed host to a Virtual Private Server. The latter is faster and a fraction of the monthly cost.

Hi John,

The reason for my questioning was that https://www.linux.com/what-is-linux is confusing. For example it says "Just like Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Mac OS X, Linux is an operating system." I now have a better understanding and I have installed Ubuntu, but I'm disappointed. Ubuntu does not support Windows based programs. I can't connect to the Internet because my ISP program is Windows based. I also have a text editor that I want to use but I doubt if that will be compatible.

Do you know of any Linux Distribution that supports Windows based programs?

(04-29-2016, 03:16 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 11:42 PM)christaliise Wrote:

I didn't like Linux Mint, only because the interface was too hard on my eyes. I'm too old.

Ubuntu comes with Firefox, so you can start using it immediately.

If you want to use the Desktop version of Ubuntu to host a production website, there are probably some things to do, but since I only use my Desktop for development, I'm not sure exactly what to tell you. In my opinion, when you're ready to go to production, you may be better off purchasing hosting. I say this because there are a lot of issues that a datacenter or host helps with. Such as, what they heck do you do if you are getting attacked by DDOS? If you can handle such things, then by all means host your own site.

Hi Skunkbad,

I have now installed Ubuntu, but I'm disappointed. Ubuntu does not support Windows based programs. I can't connect to the Internet because my ISP program is Windows based. Do you connect to the Internet via Ubuntu or Windows?

I also have a text editor that I want to use in the new laptop but I doubt if that will be compatible.

Do you know of any Linux Distribution that supports Windows based programs?

I now have a better understanding of Linux and can focus on the OS for the server further down the track.

I connect to the Internet all the time from Ubuntu. You shouldn't need a program just to connect to the Internet. If you have a network card or wireless card, you just connect through them. No program necessary.

If you want to use Windows programs, then you can use Wine to install them. You can also install Virtualbox, then install Windows, then run your Windows inside Ubuntu. I do this for Photoshop and Illustrator when I need them.

Linux is just like Windows or Mac. You wouldn't expect to be able to run Mac programs on Windows, or Windows programs on Mac. Linux actually is better because of Wine, so you can install the Windows programs. In the Ubuntu Software Center, just search for Wine and install it. After it is installed, when you want to install a program, just find it's setup.exe file and right click on it. You then see an option such as "Run in Wine" or something like that.

(05-08-2016, 10:18 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I connect to the Internet all the time from Ubuntu. You shouldn't need a program just to connect to the Internet. If you have a network card or wireless card, you just connect through them. No program necessary.

If you want to use Windows programs, then you can use Wine to install them. You can also install Virtualbox, then install Windows, then run your Windows inside Ubuntu. I do this for Photoshop and Illustrator when I need them.

Linux is just like Windows or Mac. You wouldn't expect to be able to run Mac programs on Windows, or Windows programs on Mac. Linux actually is better because of Wine, so you can install the Windows programs. In the Ubuntu Software Center, just search for Wine and install it. After it is installed, when you want to install a program, just find it's setup.exe file and right click on it. You then see an option such as "Run in Wine" or something like that.

Wine appears to be my solution, but when I search in Ubuntu Software I get "No Application Found". I'm bewildered as to how I can install Wine.

Currently I'm using a USB stick to connect to the Internet, in my old computer. I was using Windows 7, but since upgraded to Windows 10, and when I first used it, all I needed to do was plug the stick into the USB port and the Console self loaded, which also provided a shortcut on the desktop to open the Console. I need the Console to load the connection details into, each time I buy a connection. The console would only be Windows based.

It is only the Internet connection console and the text editor I need that is Windows based and I think I can adjust to everything else in Ubuntu.

(05-08-2016, 07:09 PM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 10:18 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I connect to the Internet all the time from Ubuntu. You shouldn't need a program just to connect to the Internet. If you have a network card or wireless card, you just connect through them. No program necessary.

Wine appears to be my solution, but when I search in Ubuntu Software I get "No Application Found". I'm bewildered as to how I can install Wine.

Currently I'm using a USB stick to connect to the Internet, in my old computer. I was using Windows 7, but since upgraded to Windows 10, and when I first used it, all I needed to do was plug the stick into the USB port and the Console self loaded, which also provided a shortcut on the desktop to open the Console. I need the Console to load the connection details into, each time I buy a connection. The console would only be Windows based.

It is only the Internet connection console and the text editor I need that is Windows based and I think I can adjust to everything else in Ubuntu.

I'm not on my 16.04 machine right now, but you're right, Wine doesn't come up as "Wine". It comes up as something else. If you give me a list of what comes up when you search for Wine, I'll tell you which one is the right choice.

For the USB wifi device, I would search around the internet for "Ubuntu" + the make and model of the device. You'll probably find some info on how to get it working correctly. I'm currently using this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722...-link+wifi

It is really cheap and works well for me.

As for a text editor, have you tried Sublime Text 2? From the terminal:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sublime-text

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB