Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(05-28-2016, 12:03 AM)Diederik Wrote: Wine does not come installed by default on any Linux distro that I know off. It's about the the same thing as why CodeIgniter does not come with a complete CMS. It's designed by default to be lightweight. Wine is an application you must install yourself. Frankly, if your not willing to do a few minutes of Googling and finding out how you can install Wine in just 3-4 steps in most Linux distro's then I believe Linux is not well suited for you.

If you only want to install wine to be able to use your windows editor UltraEdit I suggest that you try out other linux (/multiplatform) based editors. If your not willing to change your on habits then you will not be able to evolve.

- Sublime Text 3 (not sure why Skunkbad advises the old 2 version, the guy who created Sublime Text advises to install version 3 even though it's officially in beta stage).
- Atom
- PhpStorm
- Netbeans
- Eclipse
- Aptana
- Geany

I've been using Linux on servers for about 17 years now and it has been my main desktop environment for about the last 8 years. As a desktop I currently prefer to use Debian with Cinnamon but I've been using Ubuntu alot in the past but abanonded Ubuntu completely because I dont like the Unity desktop and it's integration of amazon search.

OK Diederik, I like constructive criticism but please don't think I don't research before I ask questions. I've done more than a few "minutes" I've spent many hours researching. I learn far more by researching myself. I've already researched http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=wi...#pkgsearch and http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/...175519205/ (Which is of little help) and http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/newbie/...istro.html (Which is where I found SolydXK). TNFrank says "SolydXK has not only WINE but Plan On Linux installed. Give it a look." I found SolydK to be dysfunctional, including its forums.

You say "Wine is an application you must install yourself" I've tried to install "Wine" in Ubuntu but failed. Without being connected to the Internet the only other port is the DVD Drive. It appears my only possible way to get "Wine" is get a distro with it already installed.

The primary thing I need to do on my new (1 month old) laptop is get connected to the Internet. My ISP is Windows based, although I'm trying to connect to another ISP but that is proving difficult in my current location. Once I'm connected to the Internet in my new laptop, I will cross the bridges of other Windows based programs.

I'm addicted to UltraEdit, and anybody who uses it would be the same. UltraEdit does any repetition work I want, and so simply and quickly. For example I can copy a line such as a URL so simply and quickly. Or save and go to the top or bottom of the text page so simply and quickly. The text editor in Ubuntu does not appear to have a macro.

You may note skunkbad uses Photoshop and Illustrator, which he runs in Virtualbox.

If you have been using Linux on servers for many years, then you are the person I'd like to keep in touch with. The project I intend building will probably benefit you.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 11:15 PM by Diederik.)

(05-28-2016, 03:17 AM)christaliise Wrote: I'm addicted to UltraEdit, and anybody who uses it would be the same. UltraEdit does any repetition work I want, and so simply and quickly. For example I can copy a line such as a URL so simply and quickly. Or save and go to the top or bottom of the text page so simply and quickly. The text editor in Ubuntu does not appear to have a macro.
I have used UltraEdit way back in my Windows years but I dont miss any features, I dont believe UltraEdit has any specific features a decent editor like Sublime is missing. But off course I could be wrong, last time I used UE is like 10-12 year ago.

In Sublime (even works in gEdit) you can use:
Go to beginning of file: Control + Home
Go to end of file: Control + End

Sublime has many select options
Select current word: Control + D (press again to select the next instance (multi-carret) of the same word)
Select current line: Control + L
Select between brackets, selection based on indentation etc etc

Sublime has support for macros.

One of the reasons I like Sublime (and PhpStorm as an IDE) so much I because you can configure it as you desire, for example change the default shortcut keys to fit your old habits so you dont have to memorize another set of shortcut keys. And the many plugins you can use or create yourself.

Not trying to force you into something but just trying to point out that their are native solutions for Linux that probably will fit your needs and expectations. Personally I would not rely on a solution where you are dependent of Wine for any tool that has an native Linux alternative. Especially for a tool which you would use many hours a day. For example I only use Wine for a peace of windows based software to manage my hardware firewall. Frankly I will not support/buy any software that is designed for windows only.

I to use a virtual machine (on a vmware server) to be able to use Photoshop, I'm not a designer but I do need to be able to open a psd file sadly.

But I just did a quick search and it happens to be that UE has its own Linux version (http://www.ultraedit.nl/products/uex.html) so why not use that? Although it seems to be a dead since it speeks of suppoting Ubuntu 8 to 10. But perhaps you can installa the Ubuntu 10 version without any hickups.

For the sake of making sure everyone knows that dev can be done 100% on Linux, here's what I use every day:

1) Sublime Text 2 (free, but I paid for a license)
2) SQLyog running in Wine (not a free program)
3) Filezilla (free)
4) Git (free)
5) Firefox with Firebug and FirePHP (free)
6) Standard LAMP stack (Apache, MariaDB, PHP) (free)
7) phpMyAdmin (free)
8) Sqliteman (free)
9) Grunt (requires Node) (free)
10) Sass (requires Ruby) (free)
12) Dropbox (free)
13) TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt (free)
14) Composer (free)

I do run Photoshop and Illustrator in Virtualbox 5.0, but since I'm not a "designer", I rarely fire this up anymore. Obviously Photoshop and Illustrator are not free, but Virtualbox is.

So, it can totally be done, and the distro you choose is probably not important. I like Ubuntu because I started in with it in 2006, and I just like it because it's familiar. Use what you like ...

(05-28-2016, 11:13 PM)Diederik Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 03:17 AM)christaliise Wrote: I'm addicted to UltraEdit, and anybody who uses it would be the same. UltraEdit does any repetition work I want, and so simply and quickly. For example I can copy a line such as a URL so simply and quickly. Or save and go to the top or bottom of the text page so simply and quickly. The text editor in Ubuntu does not appear to have a macro.
I have used UltraEdit way back in my Windows years but I dont miss any features, I dont believe UltraEdit has any specific features a decent editor like Sublime is missing. But off course I could be wrong, last time I used UE is like 10-12 year ago.

In Sublime (even works in gEdit) you can use:
Go to beginning of file: Control + Home
Go to end of file: Control + End

Sublime has many select options
Select current word: Control + D (press again to select the next instance (multi-carret) of the same word)
Select current line: Control + L
Select between brackets, selection based on indentation etc etc

Sublime has support for macros.

One of the reasons I like Sublime (and PhpStorm as an IDE) so much I because you can configure it as you desire, for example change the default shortcut keys to fit your old habits so you dont have to memorize another set of shortcut keys. And the many plugins you can use or create yourself.

Not trying to force you into something but just trying to point out that their are native solutions for Linux that probably will fit your needs and expectations. Personally I would not rely on a solution where you are dependent of Wine for any tool that has an native Linux alternative. Especially for a tool which you would use many hours a day. For example I only use Wine for a peace of windows based software to manage my hardware firewall. Frankly I will not support/buy any software that is designed for windows only.

I to use a virtual machine (on a vmware server) to be able to use Photoshop, I'm not a designer but I do need to be able to open a psd file sadly.

But I just did a quick search and it happens to be that UE has its own Linux version (http://www.ultraedit.nl/products/uex.html) so why not use that? Although it seems to be a dead since it speeks of suppoting Ubuntu 8 to 10. But perhaps you can installa the Ubuntu 10 version without any hickups.

I bought UltraEdit about 15 years ago, but I haven't looked at any updates. I'm always using it to copy a line, for a URL, date, phone no etc. And save, go to top or bottom. They are a macros I set up. But the overall features of "find" "iffound" "ifnotfound" "ifcol" can be used for anything, and thought they would have been a developers dream come true.

I'll look at Sublime later. I am open to change.

I downloaded Debian and installed it yesterday. I'm not impressed. It did not give me a choice of "Try" or "Install" so I went through the long process of installing, and I don't know if Ubuntu and FreeDOS are still installed. But when it was installed and I rebooted I encountered the prompt command of Login. I inserted the username, and attempted the password but nothing would enter. I could not go any further so I'm about to abandon Debian.

Ubuntu was the best and easiest OS I've installed. A thought I've had is to download "Wine" and "Vertualbox" in my Windows 10 laptop then copy and paste those applications into the Ubuntu download. I intend asking in https://askubuntu.com to see if it will work and where to paste them.

I need something that will acknowledge the Internet connection console when the USB Stick is plugged in.

What country do you live? I'm not in my native country coz I moved to built the website but I could not have chosen a worse country to get a job done. I intend moving again when I've sold the property I bought here.

(05-28-2016, 11:38 PM)skunkbad Wrote: For the sake of making sure everyone knows that dev can be done 100% on Linux, here's what I use every day:

1) Sublime Text 2 (free, but I paid for a license)
2) SQLyog running in Wine (not a free program)
3) Filezilla (free)
4) Git (free)
5) Firefox with Firebug and FirePHP (free)
6) Standard LAMP stack (Apache, MariaDB, PHP) (free)
7) phpMyAdmin (free)
8) Sqliteman (free)
9) Grunt (requires Node) (free)
10) Sass (requires Ruby) (free)
12) Dropbox (free)
13) TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt (free)
14) Composer (free)

I do run Photoshop and Illustrator in Virtualbox 5.0, but since I'm not a "designer", I rarely fire this up anymore. Obviously Photoshop and Illustrator are not free, but Virtualbox is.

So, it can totally be done, and the distro you choose is probably not important. I like Ubuntu because I started in with it in 2006, and I just like it because it's familiar. Use what you like ...

Our mission is to build a simple and uncomplicated website that everyone feels comfortable using. PHP, MySQL, Apache & CodeIgniter are what we are focused on now. We may need a simple graphics program later. If we can achieve our mission with the basics, then we will stick with only those. I'm open to change so far as a text editor is concerned.

But I need something that will acknowledge the Internet connection console when the USB Stick is plugged in.

I downloaded Debian and installed it yesterday. I'm not impressed. So I'm about to abandon Debian.

Ubuntu was the best and easiest OS I've installed. Do you think this will work? If I download "Wine" and "Vertualbox" into my Windows 10 laptop then copy and paste those applications into the Ubuntu download. When I click on the Ubuntu download I come up with folders just the same as in Windows. With the amended Ubuntu download, burn it to a DVD, then insert into my new computer. I intend asking in https://askubuntu.com to see if it will work and where to paste them.

(05-30-2016, 01:32 AM)christaliise Wrote: Our mission is to build a simple and uncomplicated website that everyone feels comfortable using. PHP, MySQL, Apache & CodeIgniter are what we are focused on now. We may need a simple graphics program later. If we can achieve our mission with the basics, then we will stick with only those. I'm open to change so far as a text editor is concerned.

But I need something that will acknowledge the Internet connection console when the USB Stick is plugged in.

I downloaded Debian and installed it yesterday. I'm not impressed. So I'm about to abandon Debian.

Ubuntu was the best and easiest OS I've installed. Do you think this will work? If I download "Wine" and "Vertualbox" into my Windows 10 laptop then copy and paste those applications into the Ubuntu download. When I click on the Ubuntu download I come up with folders just the same as in Windows. With the amended Ubuntu download, burn it to a DVD, then insert into my new computer. I intend asking in https://askubuntu.com to see if it will work and where to paste them.

No, it's not going to work like that. The problem here is your internet connection is holding you back from having a normal experience. Ubuntu supports a huge amount of wifi devices, but I don't have the skills to help you with that. I think you should create an account and ask at Ubuntu Forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Once connected to the internet, you should be able to install Wine and Virtualbox without problems, so focus on that connection.

(05-30-2016, 09:04 AM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-30-2016, 01:32 AM)christaliise Wrote: Our mission is to build a simple and uncomplicated website that everyone feels comfortable using. PHP, MySQL, Apache & CodeIgniter are what we are focused on now. We may need a simple graphics program later. If we can achieve our mission with the basics, then we will stick with only those. I'm open to change so far as a text editor is concerned.

No, it's not going to work like that. The problem here is your internet connection is holding you back from having a normal experience. Ubuntu supports a huge amount of wifi devices, but I don't have the skills to help you with that. I think you should create an account and ask at Ubuntu Forums:

Once connected to the internet, you should be able to install Wine and Virtualbox without problems, so focus on that connection.

I'm almost at the end of my patience with Linux. I've spent the last month achieving nothing. Things were never that bad with Windows.

I had asked a question in https://askubuntu.com but received nonsensical replies, except for just a few hours ago. I've asked for clarification.

I've also joined http://ubuntuforums.org/ which appears quite different from the above. I've searched that site for where I can ask a question and or start a new thread but can't find anything. Other people are asking questions, and I've checked to confirm I'm logged in.

(05-31-2016, 10:34 AM)christaliise Wrote:

I'm almost at the end of my patience with Linux. I've spent the last month achieving nothing. Things were never that bad with Windows.

I had asked a question in https://askubuntu.com but received nonsensical replies, except for just a few hours ago. I've asked for clarification.

I've also joined http://ubuntuforums.org/ which appears quite different from the above. I've searched that site for where I can ask a question and or start a new thread but can't find anything. Other people are asking questions, and I've checked to confirm I'm logged in.

I don't know what to tell you. If you were local I'd be willing to meet with you and help, but short of getting somebody to help and allowing physical access to your new laptop, it's clear that you won't be able to do it on your own. Maybe there is a time when Linux will work for you, but for now I think Windows is your only option.

(05-31-2016, 12:25 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 10:34 AM)christaliise Wrote:

I don't know what to tell you. If you were local I'd be willing to meet with you and help, but short of getting somebody to help and allowing physical access to your new laptop, it's clear that you won't be able to do it on your own. Maybe there is a time when Linux will work for you, but for now I think Windows is your only option.

Of the 3 Linux distros I've tried, Ubuntu was by far the best. Unfortunately it does not have Wine & Virtualbox installed by default. If it did it would no doubt be the answer to my problems. And no doubt make Ubuntu an outstanding distro.

It appears askubuntu and ubuntuforums are 2 different organisations. I'm having difficulty with the later, in that I can't register with the forums. I've sent emails of complaint but no solutions yet. It appears to be confusing me with another member with a similar name.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB