Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Replacing valid_email() with filter_var()
Question 

According to this description the valid_email() function is deprecated and scheduled for removal in CodeIgniter 3.1+. The web page says that the PHP function filter_var() should be used instead.

But filter_var() takes two arguments, whereas valid_email() only takes one. So how do I specify a two-argument function with a fixed second argument in a form validation list?

For example this example uses this code:

Code:
$this->form_validation->set_rules('email', 'Email', 'required|valid_email|is_unique[users.email]');

How can I replace valid_email here with filter_var with FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL as the second argument? Or am I supposed to write my own valid_email() function?

--
Claus

Yes you would need to write your own or use a callback:

PHP Code:
if (!filter_var($emailFILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL) === false) {

echo("$email is a valid email address");
} else {

echo("$email is not a valid email address");

What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Replying to my own question here:

It appears that I've been confused about a few things: While the valid_email() function from the Email Helper is deprecated, the valid_email() function from the Form Validation Library is not.

Obviously, I was just confused by the two functions having the same name, but one is located in the file system/helpers/email_helper.php, and the other is located in the file system/helpers/Form_validation.php.

Sorry for the mixup.

--
Claus

(05-03-2016, 12:06 PM)InsiteFX Wrote: Yes you would need to write your own or use a callback:

PHP Code:
if (!filter_var($emailFILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL) === false) {

echo("$email is a valid email address");
} else {

echo("$email is not a valid email address");

I would rather extend the CI_Form_Validation then write a callback. This is the best way to do this because you will have a new rule in all controllers and it's keep clean your controllers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB