Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Recent PHP 7 Framework Benchmark Comparisons

Recent PHP 7 Framework Benchmark Comparisons

https://medium.com/@asked_io/php-mvc-fra...0ed09c1f54

spoiler alert- codeigniter 3 - performance is so bright you best be wearing Cool

Kind of amazing how bad Laravel 5.2 did vs the popularity of Laravel. I've been learning 5.2 lately, and wasn't aware that it might be so slow.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2016, 05:54 PM by iridion2015.)

@cartalot

nice sharing dude +1

CodeIgniter rocks!!!

CodeIgniter isn't the ideal, do we really need PHP frameworks when there is a functional programming language that doesn't locked you in and language wise give raw performance, >6 times CI3 performance, without compromise in type safe.

PHP7 is 10x slow than Swift 3 and Go.
Framework is 10x complexity than Swift 3 and Go.
Dynamic language is easier to make mistake than compiled language.
It spent lot of time reading code and less time to solve simple problem where CURL does really shine.

If you have a choice, you won't choose Lumen, Laravel and CI.

(06-13-2016, 12:49 PM)cartalot Wrote: Recent PHP 7 Framework Benchmark Comparisons

https://medium.com/@asked_io/php-mvc-fra...0ed09c1f54

spoiler alert- codeigniter 3 - performance is so bright you best be wearing  Cool

I am a CI fan but I think this test alone isn't the best... It's just an "hello world" test and in my opinion being the fastest in that execution doesn't mean the framework is good.

It would be nice to run several tests so that people can decide which is the best for them.

For example for me it's all about development time. The hours I can save in dev time is the best choice for me so far. Since most of my clients are normal websites I use a CMS most of the times because it saves a bunch of dev time.

For other people or project maybe the best decision is to take a hit on dev time and get a best performance.

For "hello world" it would be fair to use cache in all frameworks for example. Or at least one more test to run.

A framework can be fat but it can save a lot of dev time and when cache is used achieve a great performance as well for example. I experience this a lot when using CMS where cache makes a huge difference in performance.

This test isn't a very good basis to see which frameworks are the fastest. I'd imagine almost all CI applications end up building out or including features that are already in Zend and Laravel from the get go which slows them down.

I'd like to see the same test with all the frameworks running similar features. I'd imagine the difference is much smaller.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

@Ivo Miranda
You are right, there are many factors. I think though this test was fair, in that it tested something, equally across frameworks. It is not absolute and no-one is claiming any absolute conclusions to be made from it. No one says CI is best overall, absolutely with no debate. But it is nice to see our favorite framework performing so well in a speed test.

Imagine the reaction if CI had been last, by a long way. Now that might have caused concern would it not? So the test did something, and could have had a completely different result.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2016, 09:52 AM by skunkbad.)

(08-20-2016, 06:43 AM)morerock Wrote: CodeIgniter isn't the ideal, do we really need PHP frameworks when there is a functional programming language that doesn't locked you in and language wise give raw performance, >6 times CI3 performance, without compromise in type safe.

PHP7 is 10x slow than Swift 3 and Go.
Framework is 10x complexity than Swift 3 and Go.
Dynamic language is easier to make mistake than compiled language.
It spent lot of time reading code and less time to solve simple problem where CURL does really shine.

If you have a choice, you won't choose Lumen, Laravel and CI.

So when was the last time you made a website with Swift 3 and Go? Why are you here?

If you're making websites with PHP and not using a open source framework, then perhaps you are using your own "framework", or more likely not developing applications that do anything substantial. CodeIgniter and other PHP frameworks are just providing shortcuts to make common tasks far easier to do. This makes development faster, safer, and makes maintenance easier because you know what to expect.

As for the complexity of PHP ... that's really a joke, right? PHP has to be the easiest language that exists. If you have a hard time with PHP, I can't imagine you have ever made anything substantial with Swift or Go. If you had, you would easily see how easy PHP is.

hey this is the *Lounge* people - chill out. have a drink or maybe some hot tea. relax, its just one test. i thought it was interesting because it was PHP 7 and so i posted it mainly for the ci people here. but if you really want an in depth framework comparison this is the best resource i've found - if you click on "show filters panel" you can filter for whatever language / platform etc:
https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB