Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Simple conventions [CI4 roadmap hijack attempt]

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM by ciadmin.)

Please keep CI4 simple just like the previous versions. Laravel enforces way too many conventions, which is a pain in the brain. If one convention fails, the entire app screws up and lets you end up in a lot of document reading instead, which takes a lot of down time. Clients really hate down times. I hope CI4 styles will be similar but with a bit more modern syntax, modern loading mechanisms, performance, structure through PSRs and a few add-ons like template engine. Don't do too much of those facades, service over-kills, contracts stuffs. If there are any like the deferred objects, keep them simple. By the way too much convenience methods just adds to the confusion --stick to one method that works nicely.
Long live CodeIgniter!

I started a new day job about two months ago, and they exclusively use Laravel (at least for the time being Smile ). I've used it in the past, but not as in depth as I am now. What I've discovered is the biggest philosophical difference between CodeIgniter and Laravel is how implicit they are. CodeIgniter trends toward the explicit side of the continuum while Laravel is far on the other side with most of it being very implicit. Lots of magic. That creates a lot of power for developers that are very familiar with it, but a lot of headaches and potential mis-steps for those used to a different version, or that simply miss things, like the Route Model Bindings. And, I think that's what's hurting your brain. Smile

I personally trend much more to the explicit side with my preferences, so you should be fine. Smile

(06-15-2016, 02:04 PM)kilishan Wrote: I started a new day job about two months ago, and they exclusively use Laravel (at least for the time being Smile ). I've used it in the past, but not as in depth as I am now. What I've discovered is the biggest philosophical difference between CodeIgniter and Laravel is how implicit they are. CodeIgniter trends toward the explicit side of the continuum while Laravel is far on the other side with most of it being very implicit. Lots of magic. That creates a lot of power for developers that are very familiar with it, but a lot of headaches and potential mis-steps for those used to a different version, or that simply miss things, like the Route Model Bindings.  And, I think that's what's hurting your brain. Smile

I personally trend much more to the explicit side with my preferences, so you should be fine. Smile

Yes that could work. Coming from a web game development background, I remembered the first time reading the CI doc a few years ago and it literally, literally took me just less than an hour to almost know what the entire framework was all about and loving it until now. Laravel on the other hand took me almost a year to constantly read its docs and accept its flows because of the programming pattern concepts and conventions. Programming patterns may totally not be needed however, Laravel uses too much names and flow related to programming patterns, which can be intimidating especially for beginners using the framework --there's no balance to it.
Long live CodeIgniter!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB