Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
No .sql file

Hi everyone,

This might sound stupid but I just need to be sure. A developer I paid gave me heaps of files days ago for my project.  When I looked around the .php files, CodeIgniter came up so I joined this forum to make sure. When I asked few developers to upload for me, they said there was no database file (.sql) for them to upload.

I asked for the .sql or database file, all he gave me was this.

1. Import database
2. Database in folder database
3. Config database and folder:
    Open file index.php
    - Database: Line: 14, 15, 16, 17
    - Folder: Line 6.

4. chmod: 777 folder "uploads" and folder "cache_timthumb"

When I gave these instructions to 5 developers, all of them said "There was no .sql file" or "Is this a joke?".

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question here. I checked around the whole file the developer gave me and there was no .sql file at all.
Is it a must to have the .sql file? Or is there a way to import the .sql file using the instructions he gave me? Or am I being played by this developer because he's been stalling to give me answers or a demo for a week now.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2016, 11:59 PM by PaulD. Edit Reason: Added PS )

CI is a framework so it is totally ok for your developer to use it.

A .sql file is used to create relevant tables in a database for you, but it is not the only way. There could be a php file that generates the tables needed once the database has been configured in the config file.

What is in the folder 'database'?

PS Having said that, if other developers have looked at the files and unable to make head or tail of it, then you may have a problem. If you are still on friendly terms with the original developer, just explain that you would really like an .sql file. It is a very easy and quick job to generate one.

(06-30-2016, 11:53 PM)PaulD Wrote: CI is a framework so it is totally ok for your developer to use it.

A .sql file is used to create relevant tables in a database for you, but it is not the only way. There could be a php file that generates the tables needed once the database has been configured in the config file.

What is in the folder 'database'?

PS Having said that, if other developers have looked at the files and unable to make head or tail of it, then you may have a problem. If you are still on friendly terms with the original developer, just explain that you would really like an .sql file. It is a very easy and quick job to generate one.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying. The folder in the database are mostly .php files.

DB.php
DB_active_rec.php
DB_cache.php
DB_driver.php
DB_forge.php
DB_result.php
DB_utility.php
index.html

With a folder named drivers that has folders such as
cubrid
mssql
mysql
mysqli
oci8
odbc
pdo
postgre
sqlite
sqlsrv
index.html

Meaning to say that, if there was no .sql, it is still possible to generate the database from the .sql? I doubt the developer will help any further however, I did told him if we are not able to see the live demo of the coding he has done for us, we are not able to make the remaining payment for him as well. I'm still waiting for his reply on the .sql file from him.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016, 12:59 AM by PaulD. Edit Reason: Added link to moderation comments )

@Jenhur, tried to respond to you via PM but you have private messaging turned off. It is off by default and you need to switch it on. In answer to your question, your posts may be being moderated as if I recall correctly, the first few posts of a new member are moderated before being posted.

PS http://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-61740.html

(07-01-2016, 12:38 AM)PaulD Wrote: @Jenhur, tried to respond to you via PM but you have private messaging turned off. It is off by default and you need to switch it on. In answer to your question, your posts may be being moderated as if I recall correctly, the first few posts of a new member are moderated before being posted.

@paul, thanks for letting me know about the regulations here.  I will turn on the PM now.

Hmm. I don't recognize those files, but a quick google of db_forge found this mysql tool:
https://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

I have never used that tool and know nothing about it I am sorry to say. Perhaps someone else on the forum will be able to shed more light on it for you. I am sorry I can't be of any more help. The website says the tool exports to all formats:

Quote:Export to 12 widely-used data formats (HTML, Text, MS Excel, MS Excel 2007, MS Access, RTF, PDF, XML, CSV, DBF, ODBC, DBF (Foxpro, dBase III, dBase IV, dBase 7), SQL)

The last being SQL, so cannot see why your developer cannot export it to SQL for you.

I hope you get it sorted.

Paul.

DB Forge refers to the CodeIgniter DB Forge class (https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/d...forge.html). The contents of the described database folder is the same as you normally find inside the systems dir.

That force class could be used in some installation procedure from within the application itself, so it's not necessary to have a .sql file to import a database. Although I think the developer would have told you that instead of referring to 'import the database'...

(07-01-2016, 10:57 AM)PaulD Wrote: Hmm. I don't recognize those files, but a quick google of db_forge found this mysql tool:
https://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

I have never used that tool and know nothing about it I am sorry to say. Perhaps someone else on the forum will be able to shed more light on it for you. I am sorry I can't be of any more help. The website says the tool exports to all formats:

Quote:Export to 12 widely-used data formats (HTML, Text, MS Excel, MS Excel 2007, MS Access, RTF, PDF, XML, CSV, DBF, ODBC, DBF (Foxpro, dBase III, dBase IV, dBase 7), SQL)

The last being SQL, so cannot see why your developer cannot export it to SQL for you.

I hope you get it sorted.

Paul.
Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your clarifications.

No problem. Let's hope someone else can help me out.

Thank you.

(07-01-2016, 02:18 PM)Diederik Wrote: DB Forge refers to the CodeIgniter DB Forge class (https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/d...forge.html). The contents of the described database folder is the same as you normally find inside the systems dir.

That force class could be used in some installation procedure from within the application itself, so it's not necessary to have a .sql file to import a database. Although I think the developer would have told you that instead of referring to 'import the database'...

Hi Diederik,

Is it possible for you to help me to go through the process?

What do you mean "The force class could be used in some installation procedure from within the application itself"? Do you mean forge class?

I'm not sure too. I'm not into .php stuff or CodeIgniter. But those are his instructions. All the other developers I approached to help me upload said there's no .sql. So, they can't do anything.

Thank you.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016, 10:12 PM by Diederik.)

Yeah, I meant forge class instead of force Rolleyes

If you send me a link (wetransfer for example) to you files in a PM I can have a quick peek if there is any database inserts in the code somewhere.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB