Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problems with querys

[eluser]mikeyhell[/eluser]
I'm trying to write an app that returns the previous and next rows based on what the current query is and it's not working? The way I understand it, if you return a query w/ the row #4 the next row would be #5 and previous would be #3. Instead I get the same row returned for all 3.

$this->db->where('id', $id);
$query= $this->db->get('entries');
$data['next']= $query->next_row();
$data['last']= $query->previous_row();

??

[eluser]James Gifford[/eluser]
Actually, I believe that those functions are used to "walk" through the rows.

When you call 'next_row' since that is the first call made on the query it returns the current row (row 4). Then when you call 'previous_row' it walks back to the last row which is also row 4.

To get the current, previous and next rows, I think you'll need to do something like this:
Code:
$this->db->where(’id’, $id);
$query = $this->db->get(’entries’);
$data[’current’] = $query->row(); // get the current row
$data[’previous’]= $query->previous_row(); // go back one row
$query->next_row(); // go forward one row to the current row
$data[’next’]= $query->next_row(); // go forward one more row

I still get the same row returned. If you have a chance here's the page:

http://www.1001webpromotions.com/guestbook/posts/id/9

If you notice, the id is in the URI(9) ... the text at the very top is the result of $data['next'}= $query->next_row()

Oh, I overlooked something critical!

In your example query, you're getting a result that only has one row. So no matter how many times you call next_row and previous_row you'll always get the same row.

You'll need to change your query so that it returns more than one row. Something like:
Code:
$this->db->where(’id >=’, $id - 1)->where(’id <=’, $id + 1);

so is it possible to return with a negative offset or is this the incorrect way?

oh thanks ... the sql worked perfectly but I had to change the chaining since this server is still php4

I just tried a simpler example on a local database and I got the desired results:
Code:
$this->db->where(’id >=’, $id - 1)->where(’id <=’, $id + 1)->orderby(’id’);
$data[’previous’] = $query->previous_row();
$data[’current’] = $query->next_row();
$data[’next’] = $query->next_row();

This assumes that there are valid ids within the specified range.

Nevermind, the rows aren't consistent b/c a row could be deleted. Should be next row - 11 previous row 7 if you're on row 9 for instance.

Is this being referenced by an internal mySql row id or by the actual id itself?

The query is looking at the actual values stored in the id field in your table. If you want to get a record with an id of 4 then you would also want to get ids 3 and 5 as well.

Of course, since you are allowing records to be deleted and there might be gaps, this method won't be 100% effective.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB