Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Which template engine do you use..?

[eluser]dtrenz[/eluser]
I was suggesting that PHP alone can act as a great templating engine. I spent some time evaluating and researching PHP templating systems (e.g. Smarty) and came to the conclusion that they were ultimately unnecessary.

This article really says it all. PHP vs Smarty

Smarter sans Smarty

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Nice article.

Have you checked out the two simple php template scripts linked thou, I am not arguing php vs. smarty.

I can not imagine managing a large website with just raw includes. It would be helpful to have wrapper scripts like these and a better way to combine templates and views into a final product.

[eluser]Avatar[/eluser]
[quote author="louis w" date="1204932272"]Nice article.

Have you checked out the two simple php template scripts linked thou, I am not arguing php vs. smarty.

I can not imagine managing a large website with just raw includes. It would be helpful to have wrapper scripts like these and a better way to combine templates and views into a final product.[/quote]
bingo

[eluser]dtrenz[/eluser]
for me, views == templates.

i don't see a problem with a few includes here and there. I just built a large site this way, and it was never overwhelming.

That first library (Most Simple?) was interesting, but i didn't see how it simplified much.

Tiny but Strong tunred me off the second I saw a function definition in a view file. ack! I like my views to be 90% markup and 10% logic (PHP). Save the function/class definitions for the model, controller, library, helper, etc.

Most of these seem to require more set-up per page then I care to deal with.

[eluser]Code Arachn!d[/eluser]
I agree with Elliot Haughin - PURE PHP POWER!!! - although I have a crazy "templating" system based on the file extensions (.html => html, .m => mobile, .rss =>... you guessed it XML)

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="louis w" date="1204930705"]But a question for you PHP guys, what template engine do you use? Do you just have a bunch of includes in your views? [/quote]
If need recurring views or more complex logic and i have to pass it on to a designer i don't use "raw" includes but make a function(s) with micro views.
Code:
<?php breadcrumb(); /* views/micro/breadcrumb.php */ ?>

[eluser]Techie-Micheal[/eluser]
phpBB3 templating. Still working on the various libraries for phpBB3->CI, but the templating CI lib I did works.

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but what's wrong with the template parser that CI ships with?

[eluser]Techie-Micheal[/eluser]
[quote author="maadmac" date="1204955934"]I'm going to go out on a limb here, but what's wrong with the template parser that CI ships with?[/quote] For me, it doesn't do what I need/want.

[eluser]Avatar[/eluser]
[quote author="Techie-Micheal" date="1204958844"][quote author="maadmac" date="1204955934"]I'm going to go out on a limb here, but what's wrong with the template parser that CI ships with?[/quote] For me, it doesn't do what I need/want.[/quote]
Tru dat, I like smarty because of syntax and the fact that I can add custom functions/plugins with great ease. I'll admit it was tough to understand how it operates at first. X-Cart shopping cart runs it and that's how I got familiar with it. Plus it has it's own community just like CI does.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB