Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What files to track in version control?

This is probably very basic but not so obvious to me. Every CI app has hundreds of files associated with the project - aside from the files we add such as controllers, views, models, etc. Is there a common strategy for tracking important files using a version control system such as git?

Specifically, do I just need to track my app specific controllers, views and model files, plus maybe the config, routes and assets folders?

Or maybe the whole application folder? 

What strategy do you experienced coders recommend?  Confused

(12-03-2016, 10:43 AM)codeguy Wrote: This is probably very basic but not so obvious to me. Every CI app has hundreds of files associated with the project - aside from the files we add such as controllers, views, models, etc. Is there a common strategy for tracking important files using a version control system such as git?

Specifically, do I just need to track my app specific controllers, views and model files, plus maybe the config, routes and assets folders?

I would track anything that is required to make your app work.

Skip out log files or any vendor files brought in via composer or node.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

Thanks for your answer, albertleao.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017, 01:11 PM by codeguy.)

(12-03-2016, 12:31 PM)albertleao Wrote:
(12-03-2016, 10:43 AM)codeguy Wrote: This is probably very basic but not so obvious to me. Every CI app has hundreds of files associated with the project - aside from the files we add such as controllers, views, models, etc. Is there a common strategy for tracking important files using a version control system such as git?

I would track anything that is required to make your app work.

Skip out log files or any vendor files brought in via composer or node.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB