Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Lost about XSS protection

Hi,

as xss_clean in Input is deprecated, and as it seems that it's a best practice to Validate Input and Sanitize Output, i'm in trouble with the correct way in CI (meaning in MVC structure).

Hypothese 1 :
  • never XSS on input (so for example record <script>...</script> in the database)
  • do security->xss_clean on every output datas in controllers
  • do not use htmlspecialchars or strip_tags in views (cause when apply htmlspecialchars after xss_clean, it corrupts datas)
This hypothese looks fine but in case i'm the front end developper (Views, dealing with CI or other framework for this part), I have to trust the Middleend controllers. IE. APIS. But I had some bad experiences before with Apis sending some not cleaned datas.

So the second hypothese is :
  • use validation on controllers or models, but not sanization xss.
  • use htmlspecialchars and strip tags in views.
But in this second hypothese, I have to deal with ajax callback and sanitize in javascript.

Is there another way ? CI Documentation is very poor on his part of security.

Thanks.

Hmmm....
My opinion says:
+ puts unmodified data to the DB
+ xss_clean on every output datas in controllers (e.g. when user sends page and this page returns with user's errors)
+ use html_clean() on input values in views

Why do you say "do not use htmlspecialchars or strip_tags in views"??

(12-14-2016, 08:55 AM)wishmaster Wrote: Hmmm....
My opinion says:
+ xss_clean on every output datas in controllers (e.g. when user sends page and this page returns with user's errors)

Why do you say "do not use htmlspecialchars or strip_tags in views"??

Thanks for answer.
I said "do not use htmlspecialchars..." in this hypothese cause it's break some codes. Get this sample :
Code:
with $test = "Hello this is a message <script>alert('here is my alert')</script>";
When you echo $test :

AFTER XSS_CLEAN : Hello this is a message alert('here is my alert')
AFTER XSS_CLEAN AND THEN htmlspecialchars : Hello this is a message alert('here is my alert')

So ( and ' characters are remplaced.

But what i'm in trouble is that when i use a valid string, characters are not replaced.

AFTER XSS_CLEAN : A valid string whith for example some "quotes" or ("ie..)
AFTER XSS_CLEAN AND THEN htmlspecialchars : A valid string whith for example some "quotes" or ("ie..)

UP.
I realize that if we have to sanitize output in Controller, when i have multiple records i have to loop foreach record and then foreach datas in the array or in the objet for apply xss_clean. Hum, not really good for performances, as i will have todo the same loop in the view for display.

So perhaps it could be more efficient to xss_clean at Input and have clear datas in Database. even if  I've read too that it was good practice to clean output instead of input.

(12-14-2016, 08:32 AM)zoé Wrote: Hypothese 1 :
  • never XSS on input (so for example record <script>...</script> in the database)
  • do security->xss_clean on every output datas in controllers
  • do not use htmlspecialchars or strip_tags in views (cause when apply htmlspecialchars after xss_clean, it corrupts datas)
This hypothese looks fine but in case i'm the front end developper (Views, dealing with CI or other framework for this part), I have to trust the Middleend controllers. IE. APIS. But I had some bad experiences before with Apis sending some not cleaned datas.

So the second hypothese is :
  • use validation on controllers or models, but not sanization xss.
  • use htmlspecialchars and strip tags in views.
But in this second hypothese, I have to deal with ajax callback and sanitize in javascript.

Is there another way ? CI Documentation is very poor on his part of security.

1. Validate inputs.
2. Do only xss_clean() at the point where you generate HTML. No htmlspecialchars(). If you want to use strip_tags() for whatever reason - do it before xss_clean().

Do your APIs return HTML that is to be directly displayed? Then sanitize there.
Do they return data that is later turned into HTML? Then sanitize in views.

(12-14-2016, 08:55 AM)wishmaster Wrote: Hmmm....
My opinion says:

If the data is already sanitized, don't do html_clean() (whatever that is) on it again.
Once is just enough, more than once breaks your data.

(12-14-2016, 08:55 AM)wishmaster Wrote: Why do you say "do not use htmlspecialchars or strip_tags in views"??

Because if it's already sanitized in a controller (which probably shouldn't be the case, but that's another story), applying htmlspecialchars() on it again will result in double encoding; i.e. breaking the data.

(12-14-2016, 09:23 AM)zoé Wrote: UP.
I realize that if we have to sanitize output in Controller, when i have multiple records i have to loop foreach record and then foreach datas in the array or in the objet for apply xss_clean. Hum, not really good for performances, as i will have todo the same loop in the view for display.

So perhaps it could be more efficient to xss_clean at Input and have clear datas in Database. even if  I've read too that it was good practice to clean output instead of input.

Efficiency is not the point; security is.

This is one of the reasons why security is hard - it is often at odds with a developer's natural instincts; you can't put it on rails.
If you care about efficiency more than security, what you get is vulnerabilities.

@Narf
THANKS. Great answers, clear, efficient. All is ok now for me. And thanks again for CI.
Regards
Zoé

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB