Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Libraries Extending Question

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 04:20 AM by wolfgang1983.)

I have a Parsedown.php file in my libraries folder

application  > libraries > Parsedown.php

PHP Code:
class Parsedown
{

And I want to extend it

application > libraries > MY_Parsedown.php

I tried require but did not make the new changes. How can I extend a library from with in application library and not system libraries.

How can I extend the parsedown into MY_Parsedown.php

PHP Code:
<?php

require APPPATH 'libraries/Parsedown.php';

class 
MY_Parsedown extends Parsedown {

protected function inlineImage($Excerpt)
    {
        $Inline parent::inlineImage($Excerpt);

if (!isset($Inline['element']['attributes']['title'])) { return $Inline; }

$size $Inline['element']['attributes']['title'];

if (preg_match('/^\d+x\d+$/'$size)) {
            list($width$height) = explode('x'$size);

$Inline['element']['attributes']['width'] = $width;
            $Inline['element']['attributes']['height'] = $height;

unset ($Inline['element']['attributes']['title']);
        }

return $Inline;
    }

There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

The "MY_" convention you use is the intended convention for extending CodeIgniter's core libraries. You are misusing it. See https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...core-class

The approach might be reasonable, with slightly different naming. You could make your class "Custom_parsedown", and start it with

Code:
require APPPATH . 'libraries/Parsedown.php';

class Custom_parsedown extends Parsedown {

(01-12-2017, 08:25 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The "MY_" convention you use is the intended convention for extending CodeIgniter's core libraries. You are misusing it. See https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...core-class

The approach might be reasonable, with slightly different naming. You could make your class "Custom_parsedown", and start it with

Code:

I made it work I have had to put the parsedown library in system library folder and  the use MY_Parsedown.php
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

(01-12-2017, 01:19 PM)wolfgang1983 Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 08:25 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The "MY_" convention you use is the intended convention for extending CodeIgniter's core libraries. You are misusing it. See https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...core-class

Code:

I made it work I have had to put the parsedown library in system library folder and  the use MY_Parsedown.php

That would be the wrong thing to do, because if somebody upgrades CodeIgniter and doesn't know that the parsedown library needs to be saved, they'd generally replace the whole system directory and wipe it out. You should just put your extension and parsedown libraries in the application/libraries directory, and do something like this:

PHP Code:
<?php
require_once(APPPATH 'libraries/parsedown.php');
$this->load->library('custom_parsedown');
// ...
$this->custom_parsedown->whatever(); 

@skunkbad ... aren't we saying the same thing?

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 03:19 PM by wolfgang1983.)

(01-12-2017, 02:21 PM)ciadmin Wrote: @skunkbad ... aren't we saying the same thing?

Need to extend the library though I am going to have to put the parsedown library in system libraryes folder

This way below is not what I am after

Code:
require_once(APPPATH . 'libraries/parsedown.php');
// ...

(01-12-2017, 02:21 PM)ciadmin Wrote: @skunkbad ... aren't we saying the same thing?

We are, but OP is placing the library in the system/libraries directory, so my comment was necessary to reinforce doing things the right way.

(01-12-2017, 03:19 PM)wolfgang1983 Wrote:

Need to extend the library though I am going to have to put the parsedown library in system libraryes folder

This way below is not what I am after

Code:
require_once(APPPATH . 'libraries/parsedown.php');
// ...

If you're not after doing things the right way, then why ask for help or advice?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB