Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI in major application development -- structure?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm currently investigating using CodeIgniter for full-on application development, e.g. for building something like Wordpress on CI. I've come across a very interesting issue in the process -- structure, and how to work with code being added on e.g. through plugins/modules. How is it that you maintain custom application structures on top of CodeIgniter?

For example, many open source PHP applications have a "modules" directory. Where would that go in a CI installation -- under /system/application, I'm presuming, but can anyone foresee any problems with putting it in the root installation folder? Once the module code is somewhere in the application, is it possible to use existing CI structure and code to work with the modules, or is it best to create a new system to handle them?

I'm thinking of conforming to the existing CI structure and having modules function as libraries, being used with the hooks system (hooks to be bound automagically somehow) and placed in /system/application/libraries. However, I'm not sure of any potential conflicts of this, or if a more suitable system could be developed by cloning the libraries system and altering it to deal with self contained mini-applications. Interested in your thoughts on this, and info on any projects that have gone down this path before.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
There are many discussions regarding using modules within CI, try doing a forum search.

And Welcome to CI forums. Wink

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
I had the same thought just yesterday. Currently I am building a administration system, which has modules using Matchbox. You can't 'add' new modules or anything but its built on a modular design.

The other thing I was thinking about was themes. I am just setting up my own Developer blog atm, and using Wordpress, I love how easy it is to change themes. I know for small applications its not a big thing but being me I love to learn new ways to do things. Make things more modular and easy to upgrade.

I think yes of course you can use CI to setup a site like wordpress. I know you will be able to do on the fly theme switching, but its just how to do it in a modular format and so its easy to maintain.

All the code in wordpress is all over the place, also they are written solely for that single purpose. If anyone has written a themed CI site like wordpress I would love to hear some insight into your design process.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Take a look at Inktype blog by Developer13. All CodeIgniter with themes etc.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB