Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CI outdated ?

I have a web apps developed by using Codeigniter 3. I try to sell it to government. But, before doing that, I showed it to my friends. Here are the responses :

"CI ? LOL.. Why not using Laravel ?"
"CI Is outdated. Please use another framework before selling it"
"CI has no future."

and others negative responses.. Should I move to Laravel ? Or just using CI 3 ?

(01-27-2017, 04:45 AM)ajabkalimaha Wrote: I have a web apps developed by using Codeigniter 3. I try to sell it to government. But, before doing that, I showed it to my friends. Here are the responses :

"CI has no future."

Codeigniter 4 is currently under going active development

You can follow this thread for more details. 

CI has been in development for a long time and the people behind it are not about to stop

Follow and draw your own conclusions ...
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter

Everything you use have pros & cons. Include codeigniter, laravel and other php frameworks.
Keep calm.

(01-27-2017, 04:45 AM)ajabkalimaha Wrote: I have a web apps developed by using Codeigniter 3. I try to sell it to government. But, before doing that, I showed it to my friends. Here are the responses :

"CI has no future."

My main issue with using Laravel is that they keep making big changes to the framework, and I like a framework that I can easily update. I also like a framework that is super easy to extend, and Laravel is just not that way. I'm not going to say that I'm a PHP guru, but I do have experience with Laravel, and it's just harder to customize. In CodeIgniter, if you want to extend a  library or helper, it's super easy. Laravel is not like that.

Laravel has some "magic" stuff going on that I don't like, and I really hate ORM. Any website with real substance is going to quickly outgrow what ORM can provide. I really prefer SQL, and many times in CodeIgniter I'm just writing SQL. I don't need the Laravel magic.

I don't like being told that the Laravel way is the way. Like PSR, I just don't like it when people are trying to tell me how to code.

If you're the type of person that always wants to please your friends, then I suppose you are obligated to use Laravel. If the government mandates that you must use Laravel, then you are obligated to use Laravel. If you don't have enough experience to make this decision on your own, I think you're going to find CodeIgniter a lot easier to use. It gets the job done.

I am making an information system for an university's campus. Because they are partially government funded, the order was under a public procurement procedure. I use CodeIgniter for this purpose and nobody makes me a problem about that.

I agree with skunkbad, and in addition I could say that you should choose technology that objectively covers your goals. You take the responsibility, therefore you are ALONE in such a choice. Friends' emotions are irrelevant.

Thanks for all the reaponses.. I think I'm gonna stick with CI.. I just worry about the performance of CI. I have learnt Laravel, and it's cumbersome I think..

(01-27-2017, 04:49 PM)ajabkalimaha Wrote: Thanks for all the reaponses.. I think I'm gonna stick with CI.. I just worry about the performance of CI. I have learnt Laravel, and it's cumbersome I think..

Performance is the last thing you should be worried about with CI.

Whoever said that CI is outdated , let them check the repository in GitHub.
Just a random guy from Internet

(01-28-2017, 05:33 AM)Narf Wrote:
(01-27-2017, 04:49 PM)ajabkalimaha Wrote: Thanks for all the reaponses.. I think I'm gonna stick with CI.. I just worry about the performance of CI. I have learnt Laravel, and it's cumbersome I think..

Performance is the last thing you should be worried about with CI.

https://github.com/kenjis/php-framework-benchmark

Symfony and Laravel are order of magnitudes slower than CI.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB