Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Stuck at tutorial - "Adding logic to the controller"
Sad 

Hello, I wanted to learn a PHP framework and started with CI today, but I got stuck at the tutorial about static pages.
The subchapter "Adding logic to the controller" wants me to add a check - I assume to add it into a controller - that the page to be loaded actually exists.

Tutorial says: "In order to load those pages, you’ll have to check whether the requested page actually exists: "
PHP Code:
public function view($page 'home')
{

if ( ! file_exists(APPPATH.'views/pages/'.$page.'.php'))

{

// Whoops, we don't have a page for that!

show_404();

}

$data['title'] = ucfirst($page); // Capitalize the first letter

$this->load->view('templates/header'$data);

$this->load->view('pages/'.$page$data);

$this->load->view('templates/footer'$data);

But I can't figure out where this code goes. In my controllers folder, there is pages.php and welcome.php.

Thank you for your help Blush

This code goes into your pages controller.
There already is a function called "view". The code the tutorial describes here, is taking you a step further the make the function load a view file only if the file really exists.

(02-25-2017, 09:17 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: This code goes into your pages controller.
There already is a function called "view". The code the tutorial describes here, is taking you a step further the make the function load a view file only if the file really exists.

Thank you, everything is working as intended now :-)

(02-25-2017, 04:01 AM)00253 Wrote: Hello, I wanted to learn a PHP framework and started with CI today, but I got stuck at the tutorial about static pages.
The subchapter "Adding logic to the controller" wants me to add a check - I assume to add it into a controller - that the page to be loaded actually exists.

Tutorial says: "In order to load those pages, you’ll have to check whether the requested page actually exists: "
PHP Code:
public function view($page 'home')
{

if ( ! file_exists(APPPATH.'views/pages/'.$page.'.php'))

{

// Whoops, we don't have a page for that!

show_404();

}

$data['title'] = ucfirst($page); // Capitalize the first letter

$this->load->view('templates/header'$data);

$this->load->view('pages/'.$page$data);

$this->load->view('templates/footer'$data);

But I can't figure out where this code goes. In my controllers folder, there is pages.php and welcome.php.

Thank you for your help Blush

https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...iple-views

General Topics

https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...index.html
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB