Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Does it matter share host or cloud host? help me!

Hi,

I want to purchase a host for my web application which is written in codeigniter.
I don't know should i purchase Share HOST or Cloud HOST. So far i was using Share Host and i don't have experience in cloud host.

What is important to me:
1- Loading Speed.
2- Compatible with CodeIgniter 3 to get the best result.
3- Ability of host panel. also easy to use

What i have on my web application:
1- online payment (paypal)
2- user control panel

Thanks for your advice!

what do you mean cloud hosting? like vps? it is always better to have a vps than shared hosting.
God Bless CI Contributors Smile

I would advise you to start with shared hosting.

It's alot cheaper and will proberbly fit your needs. If you need more resources then you can always get a managed vps, unless you (or aomeone in your firm) knows exactly what he is doing, but since you are asking this question I very much doubt that you do Wink

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM by Ivo Miranda. Edit Reason: Forget to answer your points )

My opinion is the same as @Diederik

Go with some good shared hosting company. Try to avoid those companies that will say "unlimited CPU, unlimited RAM, unlimited SSD, unlimited support, unlimited everything for 1$/month" because these guys are overselling for sure and the odds that you will get a bad hosting will increase quite a bit by my experience.

A VPS will always be 60$ or more per year and it's good that you know what you are doing despite there are already some solutions that will configure your VPS with some standard stuff but I honestly think you should start with shared hosting and try to monitor your app and then upgrade when you feel the right time has come.

I think you should go for a reputable hosting country that does not sounds shady with a server near your app users. Plus most of shared hosting will have already cPanel or something similar that you are looking for while in a VPS you will have to pay around 15$/month to have cPanel on a VPS + the cost of the VPS + you have to know how to install it.

Oh and about your points:
1- Loading Speed.
Answer: You will have to trust the host and be lucky. try to avoid shady deals and overselling companies
2- Compatible with CodeIgniter 3 to get the best result.
Answer: CI is compatible to most environments. It would have to be a really bad host not to be able to support CI since CI doesn't require anything special to run.
3- Ability of host panel. also easy to use
Answer: I would recommend a company that would have a cPanel.

What i have on my web application:
1- online payment (paypal)
Answer: I don't believe this should have any impact on the hosting provider
2- user control panel
Answer: I don't believe this should have any impact on the hosting provider

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2017, 03:17 AM by John_Betong. Edit Reason: spelling -not my forty :( )

As far as loading time is concerned try a free Cloud hosting solution such as CloudFlare. The ping results (50 against 250 mSecs) are five times faster than a site on my server that does not use the free service. Speed results should also be global and not restricted to where the server is based.

I do not know how this affects PayPal. Perhaps some knowledgeable user could enlighten me?

Namecheap are decent (https://www.namecheap.com/), I have a few apps on their shared hosting. they are relatively cheap and have good support.

You get cPanel access, mysql database etc
the FTP speed is slower than a dedicated server but not unusable. The site load speed is great though - have one that varies between 0.8s and 1.3s page load speed on pingdom and server ping is average 156ms - I have optimised it as much as I can though.

My apps on it are using CI3, have user control panel, admin panel, PayPal payments and uses PayPal IPN (directory website with bootstrap front end)

Hope that helps

Agreed,namecheap are pretty good, and I would reccomend shared hosting more than cloud hosting.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB