Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How easy will it be to upgrade from CI3 to CI4

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Typically, how easy will it be to upgrade a project using CI3 to CI4 (when it's released)?

Thanks,

It's not clear yet since they have not even got to the Alpha phase of ci 4.0, but we can already see that it won't be a simple process. CI 4.0 is a complete rebuild, and while there will be a lot of similarities, most of the code is completely refactored.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

And it is really exciting and I cannot wait. I stopped looking at the development branch to tease myself a bit :-)

(05-18-2017, 11:12 AM)PaulD Wrote: And it is really exciting and I cannot wait. I stopped looking at the development branch to tease myself a bit :-)

I am going to start to write a new application. It is worth to write on the old CI3 and then migrate or write directyl with CI4 ?

The second solution would be my preference as this is not in production yet. But I would have and advice.

(05-18-2017, 10:10 AM)CINewb Wrote: Typically, how easy will it be to upgrade a project using CI3 to CI4 (when it's released)?

Thanks,

As far as upgrading from previous versions I have found it is not simple. The reason being there are so many small changes which need old scripts to be rewritten to take advantage of the new features. I am gradually learning the new techniques and hope to completely convert a site which was started using CI 1.7 and currently using CI 3.1.5.

The learning process is courtesy of a free domain name running on a Linux server.

https://www.john-betong.tk/test/1/5

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB