Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
10 abnormalities in CodeIgniter that everyone should know

[eluser]kgill[/eluser]
[quote author="dsims" date="1206392964"]this post is for buda,[/quote]

I know you meant your post for him specifically but your vitriol just happens to encompass myself and probably quite a few others in this community. I'm a commercial developer, and I regularly use open source software while keeping my code to myself.

Quote:It kills me that people like you take someone else's code, modifies it, will not release your modifications and now claims that someone owns the code. Your boss owns the code? How can someone own something that is open source?
Simple, this is the reality: a company hires you to do some work for them, you write the code and hand it over, at that point it's theirs not yours. Unless there was some specific language stating the code they just paid you $5,000 for, you're free to hand out to whomever you please; you are not at liberty to release it to anyone. Half of the time making sure that you can't do that there are NDA's and non-compete clauses hanging over your head. This is why those of us who make a living coding usually won't go anywhere near something stamped with the GPL. CI on the other hand has a commercial friendly license - there is nothing in there that says you must release your code back to the community.

Quote:You my friend are a vulture, flying high looking for free things. If this code was licensed differently you would then be in a legal problem. If you use open source code then you are lacking the ethics of the open-source community.

And that is precisely the point, we use it because it is licensed differently. Also, we are not lacking in ethics or vultures simply because we won't give you what we worked on. However, even if CI had been released under the GPL he still wouldn't have a legal problem, if you go back and read what he posted you'll note he said he was hired by a company to refactor some of their code. As in they own it, not him, and as long as they don't redistribute it they are under no obligation to release their source to anyone and he certainly doesn't have the rights to post it. I understand you feel strongly about this but if you want your arguments to be taken seriously stooping to insults isn't the way to do it.

- K

[eluser]dsims[/eluser]
Quote: CI on the other hand has a commercial friendly license - there is nothing in there that says you must release your code back to the community.

Should it really have to say that, if your making your bread and butter of it? You feel no moral dilemma with that? How are you part of a community then?

Quote:And that is precisely the point, we use it because it is licensed differently. Also, we are not lacking in ethics or vultures simply because we won't give you what we worked on. However, even if CI had been released under the GPL he still wouldn't have a legal problem, if you go back and read what he posted you'll note he said he was hired by a company to refactor some of their code. As in they own it, not him, and as long as they don't redistribute it they are under no obligation to release their source to anyone and he certainly doesn't have the rights to post it. I understand you feel strongly about this but if you want your arguments to be taken seriously stooping to insults isn't the way to do it.

- K
Being that this thread started off insulting I thought I would chime anyways. Seriously I'm trying to put myself in your shoes. A vulture is an animal of opportunity, a creature that feeds off of other animals hard work. how is that an insult? you should be proud of being graced with the name vulture. Should I have used grasshopper instead? please don't take anything I say as an insult. Who am I to judge anyways. It's just the lack of morals. If someone helps me out, personally I feel I should always return the favor. because in my mind to take take take doesn't make me part of a community. Call me crazy but to brag on how you got paid to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place and say these things are wrong is quite child-like, oh is that an insult to or an observation I get those confused too. look up blue flame in the search and read that, if you have time.

[eluser]Derek Jones[/eluser]
Ok, everyone has made some valid points on both sides of this thread, and very few people have chosen to communicate their point of view constructively, so I'm closing this thread.

+2 points to wiredesignz for this offer

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB