Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Basics of PHP Frameworks

I have never used a framework before but have played with PHP for a little over 10 years.
I have been told that Frameworks are really good and I should look at it and I want to take the step for a small project I am just about to start - BUT, I have 3-4 weeks and I’m not sure if I can learn how to use a framework and build the app within the required timeframe.
So…
How much time should I set aside to bring myself up to speed with CodeIgniter?
How is CodeIgniter better than any other framework (or is it much of a muchness)?
Below is a list of functions I need to build into the app - how much would already exist in the framework?

1. Check IMAP email Inbox
  2. Get message and check for attachment
  3. Extract attachment and read contents of text file
  4. Re-format and export into CSV
  5. SFTP CSV to another server
  6. Send CSV as attachment
I am more asking to understand how much it will help with to understand it’s capabilities because I still don’t fully understand the benefits (most benefits spruiked in features don’t make a lot of sense to me)
THanks

(08-09-2017, 04:48 PM)shannon Wrote: I am more asking to understand how much it will help with to understand it’s capabilities because I still don’t fully understand the benefits (most benefits spruiked in features don’t make a lot of sense to me)

which parts of the features is non-sense?

You dont have to learn the any framework to speed up your development as long as you know the basics of oop. You should study HMVC/MVC structure to speedup your development no matter what framework you were using.

Plus: a good IDE would help you also Smile
God Bless CI Contributors Smile

Best bet is to sit down and take the whole day and read the CodeIgniter Users Guide
and do all of the Tutorials in it. Also dig into the CodeIgniter Core files to see
what CodeIgniter is doing under neath the hood!
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(08-10-2017, 04:20 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: Best bet is to sit down and take the whole day and read the CodeIgniter Users Guide
and do all of the Tutorials in it. Also dig into the CodeIgniter Core files to see
what CodeIgniter is doing under neath the hood!

All day? I barely have 5 minutes to scratch my **** on any given day..
This sounds like a reading task for my next vacation

(08-11-2017, 12:20 AM)shannon Wrote: All day? I barely have 5 minutes to scratch my **** on any given day..
This sounds like a reading task for my next vacation

then I suggest that you cut the **** and stop thinking about trying 'framework'.
and use your ******** 10-years-php-skill to stay on standard PHP style.

If you've barely got 5 minutes, while CodeIngiter is great and easy to learn, nothing is "oh I can learn than in 5 minutes" easy (of any consequence).

When I picked up CodeIgniter I had probably 3 or 4 years PHP experience and got it working fine in less than a day.

But if you're that pressed for time, stick to your straight php. You don't have time to learn anything new. Otherwise, the manual and help there is the best I've ever seen and will get you up and going in a few hours.

(08-09-2017, 04:48 PM)shannon Wrote: Below is a list of functions I need to build into the app - how much would already exist in the framework?

CodeIgniter will do none of this, and I'm not aware of any frameworks that have IMAP and SFTP libraries. You're going to need to find these libraries, or make your own.

For SFTP, I use phpseclib. It works great.

For IMAP, I made my own, but can't share because it's something that I was paid to create.

for sftp , i simply make a lib or controller class and call up the ssh2_sftp (part of PHP lib) and works well. Nothing much challenge.
Mine is sftp files from storage to other web server and auto send email notification to receivers

regards

(08-11-2017, 05:48 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 04:48 PM)shannon Wrote: Below is a list of functions I need to build into the app - how much would already exist in the framework?

CodeIgniter will do none of this, and I'm not aware of any frameworks that have IMAP and SFTP libraries. You're going to need to find these libraries, or make your own.

For SFTP, I use phpseclib. It works great.

For IMAP, I made my own, but can't share because it's something that I was paid to create.

For imap, i am using zend mail Smile.

A framework should not do all the things.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB