Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Session not working in 1 computer

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2017, 11:57 AM by coolerkid9090.)

My sessions work on all computers except 1 computer. It sets the session variable, but when you go back, the data doesn't exist in the session. I tried setting cookies in PHP and those worked fine. I checked all the windows settings for cookies and they are all allowed. I also tried having Codeigniter use a database for sessions and that didn't work either, even though I see the session data stored in the database. It makes no sense. What could possible cause Codeigniter sessions not to work on just that 1 specific computer? Thanks!

This is my test script:

Code:
if (isset($_GET['cookiecheck'])) {

print_r($this->session->userdata);

} else {

$cookie_data = array('valid' => true, 'name' => "My Name");

$cookie_data = array('cookie' => $cookie_data);

$this->session->set_userdata($cookie_data);

die(header("Location: http://myurl.com/test?cookiecheck=1"));

}

Whatever it is, the problem is in that one PC ... not your code.

(09-15-2017, 03:29 PM)Narf Wrote: Whatever it is, the problem is in that one PC ... not your code.

But how do I fix it? It's only codeigniter. I can set cookies fine through regular PHP on that computer.

I couldn't possibly know how you'd fix it, because I have no idea what the problem is.

What I do know is that if something doesn't work on a single computer, but works everywhere else, then the problem is in that computer. It may happen that you encounter this while using CodeIgniter, but if I had an euro for every time someone said "it doesn't work in codeigniter" and then it turned out that's just a coincidence, I could buy a new car (for real, not joking).

(09-16-2017, 07:42 AM)coolerkid9090 Wrote:
(09-15-2017, 03:29 PM)Narf Wrote: Whatever it is, the problem is in that one PC ... not your code.

But how do I fix it? It's only codeigniter. I can set cookies fine through regular PHP on that computer.

When dealing with session problems in general, it's good to provide your session configuration, and if you're using database sessions, a copy of your sessions table schema. Also, when you say it doesn't work on one computer, what kind of O/S and browser? "Computer" can mean a lot of things these days.

Like Narf said, if it only doesn't work on one computer, then it's probably the computer, but in the past some people had problems with specific browsers. I think that was a long time ago though, and not sure if that's even a thing anymore.

(09-16-2017, 01:04 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

When dealing with session problems in general, it's good to provide your session configuration, and if you're using database sessions, a copy of your sessions table schema. Also, when you say it doesn't work on one computer, what kind of O/S and browser? "Computer" can mean a lot of things these days.

Like Narf said, if it only doesn't work on one computer, then it's probably the computer, but in the past some people had problems with specific browsers. I think that was a long time ago though, and not sure if that's even a thing anymore.

It's a Windows 10 PC. I tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I tried using Cookies, then database and they both had the same problem. I just don't understand what would cause it to not work on 1 specific computer using Codeigniter, but works fine with straight up PHP cookies. At its core, Codeigniter sets the cookie using PHP.

(09-16-2017, 03:07 PM)coolerkid9090 Wrote:
(09-16-2017, 01:04 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

It's a Windows 10 PC. I tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I tried using Cookies, then database and they both had the same problem. I just don't understand what would cause it to not work on 1 specific computer using Codeigniter, but works fine with straight up PHP cookies. At its core, Codeigniter sets the cookie using PHP.

Maybe it's some antivirus setting or something. Everything else that comes to mind is too offensive to say in this forum ...

Windows 10 Cookie Settings:

1) Control Panel
2) Click on Network and Internet
3) Click on Internet Options
4) In the Dialog click on the Privacy tab
5) Click the Advanced button under Settings
6) Set your Cookie Settings
7) Check the Always allow session cookies if it is not checked
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(09-16-2017, 03:07 PM)coolerkid9090 Wrote: I tried using Cookies, then database and they both had the same problem.

Another piece of info that you should've provided, is that you're using CI2.

CI2 was discontinued 2 years ago!

(09-17-2017, 06:55 AM)Narf Wrote:
(09-16-2017, 03:07 PM)coolerkid9090 Wrote: I tried using Cookies, then database and they both had the same problem.

Another piece of info that you should've provided, is that you're using CI2.

CI2 was discontinued 2 years ago!

I am using CI3.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB