Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
"Remember me" option for users

Hello,

For my application i'm going to implement a "remember me" option so they don't have to login on each visit if the page/browser closes.
I believe with sessions if the browser is closed the session get's lost if i'm correct, is there a way to expend this session on update/expire?

Can we for example:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Override config settings, know how this works, if the remember me is set, if not use default settings on this?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application info:
CI 3.2.0-dev with PHP 7.1 enabled

Kind Regards

(10-03-2017, 04:25 AM)superior Wrote: Hello,

For my application i'm going to implement a "remember me" option so they don't have to login on each visit if the page/browser closes.
I believe with sessions if the browser is closed the session get's lost if i'm correct, is there a way to expend this session on update/expire?

Can we for example:
Override config settings, know how this works, if the remember me is set, if not use default settings on this?

Application info:
CI 3.2.0-dev with PHP 7.1 enabled

Kind Regards

Do not use CI 3.2.0-dev Dodgy

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3128...r-30135526
https://paragonie.com/blog/2015/04/secur...#title.2.1

or
https://github.com/benedmunds/CodeIgniter-Ion-Auth
https://community-auth.com/

Hello Paradinight,

Why do you recommend to not use CI 3.2.0-dev?
For this information it's a development area, it's not on my live application at this moment.
Planning to upgrade my application to CI 4 but as far as I can see the documentation is not as complete as de 3.x version.

Thank you for the documentation, will have a look to see what's the best suitable option for me.

I am guessing because the dev branches might not stable and still undergoing change. CI4 is not released yet with a stable branch so CI3 is the current version you should be using (I think it is up to 3.1.6 at the moment).

To do a remember me you set a different cookie and check for that on first start up, but there are security implications with anything auth related which is why I imagine Paradnight suggested the links he did (and they are worth a read if you have not already).

Personally I have not used one yet, preferring to assume the computer has shared access. Browsers typically do a great job of remembering passwords so I have never seen the point, even if I log in every day to a particular site of mine. Having said that, I was just thinking that I love the way CI forums keep me logged in and was thinking about trying one.

So thank you to paradnight for some great links to get me started too..

Paul.

Hello PaulD,

I'm aware that this is a dev version, that's why it's on my development area and not my live application. Should have mentioned this on my topic i'm sorry for that Smile

Did read his personal website, it contains valuable information on howto do this. Interesting to know how everyone is thinking about this, Ion_auth looks amazing but as far as i can see it's build on version 2 of CI ?

Before i'm starting this I really need more information, thought i knew but in theory it's just a small knowledge. Thank you for sharing this information to other developers!

Ion_auth has been updated and works with CI versions > 3.x without any problems.

Yes I concur with dave friend above, I use Ion_auth in lots of CI3 applications and it works just fine, does tons of stuff so I do not have to, but best of all, does not force me to use it in any particular way. I can use just one tiny bit of it, or all of its great features. It is also very simple to read, understand and customise.

Having said that I have also heard great things about community auth, but I am now at home and comfortable with ion_auth and see no reason to change.

Paul.

Hello Dave & PaulD,

Thank you for the feedback on this topic, Ion_auth is in my understanding the best solution. Did not know it was fixed to use in CI3, knowing that my decision is easy.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB