Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter or DJango

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I am a front end designer looking to learn more back end programming and eventually be able to develop my own apps but am wondering what is the best option to start with. I guess my question is this; "What do people recommend between CodeIgniter and Django?". I am currently a user of Expression Engine for my websites which has leaned me towards CodeIgniter although as I am pretty much starting from scratch (I know enough PHP to figure certain things out) in this domain. I have had a brief look at Python which actually looks a more intuitive language and therefore maybe the way to go for me as my base is limited in PHP and none existent so far in Python.

Does everybody here use CodeIgniter or are you multi talented and can use either (or even rails) or depending on the project. Are there certain projects that CodeIgniter could handle better or vice versa?

If you could start from scratch which direction would you recommend?

Thanks

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think you have to decide if you are willing to invest much time in getting acquainted with a new language. You will be able to use django in a reasonable time but you will use python the php way which means you will not going to get the best out of django until you know how to use python.

If you use the Expression Engine you get started faster using CI. There is also no Expression Engine for django as far as i know.

I think it's best you focus on one language and you try to learn others just enough to make things working.

[eluser]adamp1[/eluser]
A thing which I think will sway you is of the news that the new EE will be built on CodeIgniter. So if you use EE now and plan to use it, using CodeIgniter will help you with EE.

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
Yeah, that's a major deal. From my perspective, that's going to make it a lot easier for me to incorporate some advanced stuff into EE a lot faster than the current methods. It's pretty awesome.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB