Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter 3.1.7 result query array has an issue

Hello every one

i have been having an issue with the database query returning a boolean instead of result_array() or result_object! it is very frustrating to have to go twist code around at each stap, can anyone give a good suggestion to solving this problem?

below is the normal query that was supposed to return a result.

$query = $this->db->query('MY_QUERY');

return $query->result_array();

To be more precise the core code is generating a fatal_error : this is the error i am getting using form validation core library to validate the in put!

Fatal error: Call to a member function num_rows() on boolean in C:\xampp\htdocs\MY_PROJECT\system\libraries\Form_validation.php on line 1122

Show more code.

Declare form_validation library.
exp:
Put in your controller.
$this->load->library('form_validation');

ref: https://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/l...ation.html
This is me. JK not me.

Did the same code work in 3.1.6 and below?

If $query->result_array() returns a boolean (FALSE, that is), there's a syntax error in your query. So, please, check that first.
A message error from the form validation library, as a result of the code you shared, is very unlikely. Show some more code.

(02-26-2018, 12:03 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: Did the same code work in 3.1.6 and below?

If $query->result_array() returns a boolean (FALSE, that is), there's a syntax error in your query. So, please, check that first.
A message error from the form validation library, as a result of the code you shared, is very unlikely. Show some more code.

hi num_rows() will not work on $query->result_array() , it will throw error. you can use $query-num_rows()  or count($query->result_array())
Santanu Kumar Pati
Software Engineer
MTech. In Computer Science & Engeering
Biju Pattnaik University Of Technology, Odisha, India

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 06:10 AM by InsiteFX.)

If num_rows() returns an error it means the query did not get ant results back.

Use this to check your query:

PHP Code:
$this->db->last_query() 

Check num_rows:

PHP Code:
if ($query->num_rows() > 0)
{

// Success

}
else
{

// Error

Sounds like you have an error in your query...
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 08:05 AM by dave friend.)

PHP Code:
$query  $this->db->query('MY_QUERY'); 

In the code above $query can end up being set to TRUE, FALSE, or a CI_DB_result object.

Read the Docs

There can be several reasons for a FALSE return, but it is usually because 'MY_QUERY' is invalid. That's what I usually do wrong anyway. Dodgy

Best practice would undoubtedly recommend checking the return of query() before attempting to use it. To be perfectly clear, you want to make sure it is a CI_DB_result object (or not a bool) before using it on a method like num_rows() and any of the result*() methods. For instance

PHP Code:
$query  $this->db->query('MY_QUERY');
if(
is_bool($query)
{

// respond to the problem
}
else
{
    return 
$query->result_array();

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB