Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
LTS - CI 3 -- how long will it be supported/maintained ?

(06-19-2018, 09:42 AM)rangka.kacang Wrote: I agree to disagree with "real developer use Laravel" statement. I think the real one just use PHP out of the box without any framework even for the so-called "faster development" and "not reinventing the wheel" excuses. A very good example to this is the Laravel make:auth command. Why would someone use the pre-made authentication system, I'll be better off spending the next few days to create a customized authentication system with some client-side + server-side validations and to even add some fancy ajax modal for better UI/UX experience. Otherwise, it will just be another front-end framework like Bootstrap providing ready-made/generic solutions. It will somehow jail the developer's creativity because they are doing things in a way by using the default solution.

Absolutely.

I imagine they let you hack around Laravel to some extent, but exactly my point that CI just does the core and then stays out of the way.

My point was that developers using CodeIgniter know this, it even says all the right stuff on CodeIgniter home page header, but it's a bit like PHP and other languages at the moment - there are a lot of people saying PHP is not good, because they've read some articles about 6-7 year old PHP version, and they have no interest now to check out PHP 7.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018, 01:03 PM by php_rocs.)

An interesting answer by the PHP creator himself (Rasmus Lerdorf): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuB6UjEsY_Y

CI is not bloated which is one of the reasons that I love using it.

(06-19-2018, 01:01 PM)php_rocs Wrote: An interesting answer by the PHP creator himself (Rasmus Lerdorf): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuB6UjEsY_Y

I do you one better Wink
https://www.sitepoint.com/rasmus-lerdorf...ink-again/

Quote:Rasmus did mention that he liked CodeIgniter because it is faster, lighter and the least like a framework.

Before anyone points it out, yes, it was 10 years ago.

@Pertti,

I was looking for that one but couldn't find it.

Regardless of the fervor of development for CI4, or the lack thereof, it is great to see some lively discussion Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM by rangka.kacang.)

(06-19-2018, 01:01 PM)Dphp_rocs Wrote: An interesting answer by the PHP creator himself (Rasmus Lerdorf): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuB6UjEsY_Y

CI is not bloated which is one of the reasons that I love using it.

I saw this video last time. I’m not sure why he said suck but most  probably due to performance stand of point. If we take for example like HTML/CSS out of the box, frontend frameworks are really useful and can save a lot of time namely Bootstrap, UIKit, SpectreCSS and many more to do various functions in DRY mode. This is also true in CI for PHP.

In CI3, the MVC structure is so simple and easy to understand for a beginner like me but when I try Laravel (for example), I will have to deal with a lot of other additional stuff which is totally unecessary such as middleware, this and that it almost make me puke. From what I can tell, CI4 is definitely going the Laravel way, the dotenv, the composer, the new routing, and so on, nothing is original anymore. Maybe php ignisan make:controller to scaffolding a controller template (pls dont be lazy and use the copy paste)...

Thank you.

(06-19-2018, 01:51 PM)rangka.kacang Wrote: From what I can tell, CI4 is definitely going the Laravel way, the dotenv, the composer, the new routing, and so on, nothing is original anymore.

Composer is optional, just available for anyone that wants to use it, you can still just download very small ZIP file and go!

Dotenv only moves some text from one file to another. It won't affect smaller sites, but bigger applications that might want to fire up temporary test servers, it's much better solution than having to write temporary server config to a case statement in a PHP file. Instead, you explicitly set these values for server at hand and code doesn't have to change. As a bonus, sys admins don't feel like they need to mess around with PHP script files.

Routing does change a little bit, but again, it feels like it keeps the basics, just adds additional options for people that would use it. Using class::method/attrib v class/method/attrib, it'll be a bit hard to loose the muscle memory, sure, but it does follow how PHP uses methods so you could say it simplifies things.

All the loading classes and what not seems to be mostly same, just slightly different (more "modern", whatever that's worth) way of doing it, some things are a bit shorter ( $this->load->view() v view() ).

Models have changed somewhat, but then, for some weird reason, it's very close to the extensions I've built to CI3 myself, so I really can't complain.

So, from what I've seen so far, it's still same easy to get going structure, so stay with us and I'm pretty certain eventual move from CI3 to CI4 will be relatively painless Cool

(06-19-2018, 01:37 PM)ciadmin Wrote: Regardless of the fervor of development for CI4, or the lack thereof, it is great to see some lively discussion Big Grin

Those who can't do, nor teach, nor help out with pull requests on GitHub will ... well... they'll create the lively buzz on forums Big Grin

(06-19-2018, 02:15 PM)HGOPertti Wrote: So, from what I've seen so far, it's still same easy to get going structure, so stay with us and I'm pretty certain eventual move from CI3 to CI4 will be relatively painless Cool

That would be great. I just can’t ignore the fact that it will become another Laravel with a different branding. I mean just look at the make:migration. I’d rather do it manually using HeidiSQL or phpMyAdmin rather than using a CLI tool since I’m using windows, I prefer clicking stuff than typing commands on a terminal that needed to be stored in muscle memory...

Thank you.

(06-19-2018, 03:03 PM)rangka.kacang Wrote: That would be great. I just can’t ignore the fact that it will become another Laravel with a different branding. I mean just look at the make:migration. I’d rather do it manually using HeidiSQL or phpMyAdmin rather than using a CLI tool since I’m using windows, I prefer clicking stuff than typing commands on a terminal that needed to be stored in muscle memory...

I disagree.  I don't think CI4 will be like Laravel.  It will have similarities but it will still be light and fluffy...and remember some of the new features will be optional not mandatory.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB