Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
num_rows() not working with sqlsrv driver and MSSQL

I'm getting the following error on a simple query that's supposed to return a number of rows:
Quote:Type: Error
Filename: /var/www/dev/docroot/project/system/database/DB_query_builder.php
Line Number: 1428

I'm using Codeigniter 3.1.9. I recently started using PHP7.2 and also sqlsrv driver to connect to a MSSQL database.
In some other post, someone mentioned that scrollable should be set to an option different than SQLSRV_CURSOR_FORWARD so I dump the value of $this->scrollable in sqlsrv_driver.php and found out that its value is buffered

Code:
/**
    * Execute the query
    * @param   string  $sql    an SQL query
    * @return  resource
    */
   protected function _execute($sql)
   {
       echo $this->scrollable; die();
       return ($this->scrollable === FALSE OR $this->is_write_type($sql))
           ? sqlsrv_query($this->conn_id, $sql)
           : sqlsrv_query($this->conn_id, $sql, NULL, array('Scrollable' => $this->scrollable));
   }

Not quite sure why it's failing. Any other queries that don't include num_rows() are fine so far. Thanks.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018, 06:54 AM by InsiteFX.)

num of rows is mostly for MySQL

Documentation states this that different database engines use a different num of rows.

You can use php count method to get the number of rows.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

That error looks like you are trying to call the num_rows method on some variable that is a boolean value and not an object. I.e., you'll get the same exact error if you do this:
Code:
$v = TRUE;
$v->num_rows();
This frequently happens when people neglect to check if their query succeeded before trying to use the results of the query.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB