Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problem with passing a specific character in another language.

Hi,
I'm trying to pass text from form input in url slug, which is in another language (in greek to be accurate) and even though every character works fine, when i change the y character** which in greek is "υ" i get a webmaster 404_error page. 

**I edited the "application/config/foreign_chars.php" file.

Here's what i post after the form submission:
Code:
 $pet_entry = convert_accented_characters($this->input->post('petTitle_lost'));
 $pet_entry_slug = url_title($pet_entry);

$data = array(
     etc...etc...etc..
    'pet_entry_slug' = $pet_entry_slug
  )

Any thoughts or suggestions for passing characters other than greek as url slug and replace space, '', / etc to "-" dash?

P.S.: I don't want the characters to be converted in english. 

Thank you in advance.

//Life motto
if (sad() == true) {
     sad().stop();
     develop();
}

So you want to keep "funny" letters in URL, but replace all other non-letter characters like spaces or slashes with - ?

How did you edit that file? You need to delete that row in case you want the real character or add a new row if you want it converted.

You also need to edit your application/config/config.php file to support more characters.
PHP Code:
/*
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Allowed URL Characters
|
| This lets you specify which characters are permitted within your URLs.
| When someone tries to submit a URL with disallowed characters they will
| get a warning message.
|
| As a security measure you are STRONGLY encouraged to restrict URLs to
| as few characters as possible.  By default only these are allowed: a-z 0-9~%.:_-
|
| Leave blank to allow all characters -- but only if you are insane.
|
| The configured value is actually a regular expression character group
| and it will be executed as: ! preg_match('/^[<permitted_uri_chars>]+$/i
|
| DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE REPERCUSSIONS!!
|
*/
$config['permitted_uri_chars'] = 'a-z 0-9~%.:_\-'

(08-08-2018, 12:38 AM)Pertti Wrote: So you want to keep "funny" letters in URL, but replace all other non-letter characters like spaces or slashes with - ?

Yeap! I tried to delete the character from foreign_chars.php and still i get the webmaster error_404 page! I also inserted the characters in permitted_uri_chars.. still nothing.

Any thoughts?

//Life motto
if (sad() == true) {
     sad().stop();
     develop();
}

(08-08-2018, 02:12 AM)jreklund Wrote: How did you edit that file? You need to delete that row in case you want the real character or add a new row if you want it converted.

You also need to edit your application/config/config.php file to support more characters.
PHP Code:
/*
| Allowed URL Characters
|
| This lets you specify which characters are permitted within your URLs.
| When someone tries to submit a URL with disallowed characters they will
| get a warning message.
|
| As a security measure you are STRONGLY encouraged to restrict URLs to
| as few characters as possible.  By default only these are allowed: a-z 0-9~%.:_-
|
| Leave blank to allow all characters -- but only if you are insane.
|
| The configured value is actually a regular expression character group
| and it will be executed as: ! preg_match('/^[<permitted_uri_chars>]+$/i
|
| DO NOT CHANGE THIS UNLESS YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE REPERCUSSIONS!!
|
*/
$config['permitted_uri_chars'] = 'a-z 0-9~%.:_\-'

I inserted the characters i want to change and worked fine, except that single character. i also tried to insert it in accepted_uri_chars and still nothing. I also deleted the character from the file as you said and i get the same error_404 page.

//Life motto
if (sad() == true) {
     sad().stop();
     develop();
}

If that character is in permitted_uri_chars list, and you enter it on URL, does it end up on right controller/method?

In which case check convert_accented_characters output and what you store in DB. In my opinion going with UTF-8 would be better option, so you store it as provided and don't have to worry about conversions.

(08-08-2018, 04:54 AM)Pertti Wrote: If that character is in permitted_uri_chars list, and you enter it on URL, does it end up on right controller/method?

In which case check convert_accented_characters output and what you store in DB. In my opinion going with UTF-8 would be better option, so you store it as provided and don't have to worry about conversions.

TBH i think that if i convert it in english char characters it would be better. If i keep it that way the characters in a "CTRL + C" - "CTRL + V" situation eill be shown as "%B0% %C4% etc.. etc..

So i think i will just correct the foreign_chars file for converting to the proper english language characters. 

I think it would have a better usability too!

//Life motto
if (sad() == true) {
     sad().stop();
     develop();
}

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB