Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
removing a file on a Linux server

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 12:26 AM by richb201.)

Somehow some of my local development files got on my server. In the attached screenshot you can see a file called "C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log". It shouldn't be on Ubuntu and is causing havoc. l want to remove it with rm. So I change to the /opt/bitnami/apps directory by using "cd apps". But now when I do a ls -l to list the directory I get:

bitnami@ip-172-26-10-99:~/apps$ ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 May 23 10:57 phpmyadmin

As you can see, "C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log" is not showing. So how can I delete it? if I type 

sudo rm "C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log"

I get:

bitnami@ip-172-26-10-99:~/apps$ sudo rm C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log

rm: cannot remove 'C:xamppphplogsphp_error_log': No such file or directory

So how do i get rid of this thing??? I am aslo having a problem loading php.  When I try to run php -v I get

bitnami@ip-172-26-10-99:~$ php -v
Failed loading C:\xampp\php\ext/xdebug.so:  C:\xampp\php\ext/xdebug.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
PHP 5.6.36 (cli) (built: Apr 27 2018 22:46:36)
Copyright © 1997-2016 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright © 1998-2016 Zend Technologies

The only lines in my server's php.ini that refer to my local PC are:

include_path=C:\xampp\php\PEAR 
extension_dir="C:\xampp\php\ext"
upload_tmp_dir="C:\xampp\tmp"
error_log="C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log"
mail.log = c:/mail_log
browscap="C:\xampp\php\extras\browscap.ini"
session.save_path="C:\xampp\tmp"
openssl.cafile=c:\users\richb201\.aws\cacert.pem
openssl.capath=c:\users\richb201\.aws\

So what do I change these to?

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 12:35 AM by skunkbad.)

Richard, you're in the wrong directory.

If you look closely at your image, the directory that contains the file you want to delete is not ~/apps. You were in that directory, but then you went up one directory with cd ..

The directory that contains the file you want to delete is your home directory (~).

You should be able to do this:

sudo rm -f ~/C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log

or to make it easy on yourself:

sudo rm -f ~/*php_error_log

Just a tip; most Linux distros will allow you to type "ll" instead of "ls -l" or "ls -la". It's really fast. Give it a shot.

Thanks Brian. I'll check it out. BTW, I was thinking that perhaps my php install is pretty screwed up and I should delete it and reinstall a fresh one. Is there an easy way to remove the install and then a way to reinstall?

"Easy" just depends on your skill level. I have doubts that PHP is screwed up. Why do you think that?

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 12:15 PM by richb201.)

(09-08-2018, 08:30 AM)skunkbad Wrote: "Easy" just depends on your skill level. I have doubts that PHP is screwed up. Why do you think that?

Because I made a mistake and copied my php.ini from my windows PC to my linux server. There are many places in the php.ini that point at my local hard drive. I don't have a copy of the original linux php.ini. So I need a new copy. 

Is there anywhere I can get a linux version of php.ini without re-installing?

I guess I could just create a new LAMP instance, copy the php.ini, and then delete the instance?

OK. I created another instance and copied the php.ini from that instance to mine.  Now I just need to install Xdebug to it. Which one should I install? is there a windows version vs a Linux version. I know that I need 64 bit and I am using php 5.6. Do I need threadsafe for working with CI?

(09-08-2018, 11:00 AM)richb201 Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 08:30 AM)skunkbad Wrote: "Easy" just depends on your skill level. I have doubts that PHP is screwed up. Why do you think that?

Because I made a mistake and copied my php.ini from my windows PC to my linux server. There are many places in the php.ini that point at my local hard drive. I don't have a copy of the original linux php.ini. So I need a new copy. 

Is there anywhere I can get a linux version of php.ini without re-installing?

I guess I could just create a new LAMP instance, copy the php.ini, and then delete the instance?

OK. I created another instance and copied the php.ini from that instance to mine.  Now I just need to install Xdebug to it. Which one should I install? is there a windows version vs a Linux version. I know that I need 64 bit and I am using php 5.6. Do I need threadsafe for working with CI?

well my phpStorm is still complaining "Invalid descendent file name "C:\xampp\php\logs\php_error_log" ". This is causing phpStorm to show  PHP version: not installed.

I know it can be difficult to give up Windows, because I was there once, but if you started developing your websites on Linux, you'd never have these weird issues. I use Ubuntu Desktop. Current version has PHP 7.2 which is a bonus.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM by richb201.)

Yes. I guess so. In my routes.php for windows I have

$route['default_controller'] = 'Users/login';
$route['404_override'] = '';
$route['translate_uri_dashes'] = FALSE;
$route['registration'] = 'registration';
$route['login'] = 'login';
$route['subit_backend']['GET']='subit_backend/register';

Do I need to manually change these to be "\" to run on Linux? I have other things such as a view that has the following line in it

<script src="http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

Do I need to change this to:

[i]<script src="http:\\html5shim.googlecode.com\svn\trunk\html5.js"></script>[/i]

(09-08-2018, 08:48 PM)richb201 Wrote: Yes. I guess so. In my routes.php for windows I have

$route['default_controller'] = 'Users/login';
$route['404_override'] = '';
$route['translate_uri_dashes'] = FALSE;
$route['registration'] = 'registration';
$route['login'] = 'login';
$route['subit_backend']['GET']='subit_backend/register';

Do I need to manually change these to be "\" to run on Linux? I have other things such as a view that has the following line in it

<script src="http://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

Do I need to change this to:

[i]<script src="http:\\html5shim.googlecode.com\svn\trunk\html5.js"></script>[/i]

No, you don't need to make that change.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB