Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
nodejs tips and tricks

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018, 01:08 PM by ignitedcms.)

Hi guys,

I'm sure you must be aware of nodejs acquiring traction, so what are your tips and tricks for development, what frameworks are you using etc. What essentials do you suggest for great development?

Please share them here or if you have any useful youtube videos to get started.

At the moment I'm learning this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-txbAYt...gTNqm0Am3Q

and

https://www.w3schools.com/nodejs/nodejs_uploadfiles.asp

(I think formidable for file uploads and nodemailer for emails and bcrypt for hashing passwords is essential)

https://hapijs.com/
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

Not sure that the typical Node developer would also be a typical backend MVC webapp developer (eg CodeIgniter), but if so, what would make it easier to "integrate" the two? No, I have nothing pre-conceived Undecided

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018, 12:56 PM by ignitedcms.)

(09-10-2018, 12:52 PM)ciadmin Wrote: Not sure that the typical Node developer would also be a typical backend MVC webapp developer (eg CodeIgniter), but if so, what would make it easier to "integrate" the two? No, I have nothing pre-conceived Undecided

That's a great point, I certainly don't think there isn't anything like CI for nodejs in terms of ease of development, at least none of the frameworks I've encountered have that, well at the very least it isn't easy.

Even the full stack frameworks, like hapi and express seem lacking of essentials like db connections, emailers and file uploading which comes baked into CI.

Obviously, the concurrency of nodejs is making it hot in webdev nowadays. I'm considering investing time to learning this properly and writing a full cms for it actually, something which I have already done for codeigniter.

Have you tried making any apps with it Ciadmin?

(09-10-2018, 12:55 PM)ignitedcms Wrote: Have you tried making any apps with it Ciadmin?

No, but I am assisting with a web dev course this term that is all about Node/React and MongoDB, so I expect to learn lots.
So far, my biggest node app is "hello world" Undecided
<That will be different by the end of the week>

(09-10-2018, 01:03 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 12:55 PM)ignitedcms Wrote: Have you tried making any apps with it Ciadmin?

No, but I am assisting with a web dev course this term that is all about Node/React and MongoDB, so I expect to learn lots.
So far, my biggest node app is "hello world" Undecided
<That will be different by the end of the week>

Yes I'm in the throws of learning it too, what I will say everything is very different, and the way you acquire modules is very similar to using composer.

I feel like the syntax is a bit too verbose compared to PHP and I guess that is what is bugging me at the moment, but I feel like it is the future and lots of web environments support nodejs now, so I look forward to learning more about it. If you want you can share any things you have learned in this thread.

Good luck!

One of the other things I will say, because PHP is more mature a lot of the existing libs that we come to know and love are a little bit behind in nodejs and under developed.

It may just be a matter of time before they catch up. That is another thing that is holding me back.

I wouldn't use hapi. Better to stick with Express.
Simpler is always better

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2018, 10:47 PM by ignitedcms.)

(09-10-2018, 05:42 PM)donpwinston Wrote: I wouldn't use hapi. Better to stick with Express.

Thank you for your reply donpwinston, I originally was considering using express as it is more mature and in tests proved to be slightly faster but since discussing and researching I've decided to stick with hapi.js as it does more out of the box and requires less middleware.

I thought this was a good link to read.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3046...each-other

In any case, I think the best way to experience nodejs is through personal projects. Admittedly, I'm just trying to build myself an ecosystem that does some of the things CI does.

That is routing, password hashing, form validation, emailing, file uploads,sessions, mysql querying etc.

Please if you have any thoughts or experiences with express.js please do feel free to share them here!

I've played around with Angular, React, and Vue before, and had first impressions of all of them. After my initial review of all three, I liked Vue the best, but I've decided that I must learn and have experience/skills with React due to the amount of jobs that seem to be available. Vue might be very popular amongst Laravel hipsters, but that really means nothing to me. The one thing that I really hated about React though is the initial setup. I simply do not like trusting that a multitude of files being pulled in by a package manager is the best way. This evening I finally found an install procedure that suits me a little better:

https://www.valentinog.com/blog/react-webpack-babel/

... and with that hurdle cleared, I had a fun night of going through tutorials and feeling way more comfortable with React. I'm not really in love with the way props have to be passed down and up through components, but maybe Redux solves that annoyance. I plan to play with Redux tomorrow.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018, 03:07 AM by ignitedcms.)

(09-12-2018, 01:08 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I've played around with Angular, React, and Vue before, and had first impressions of all of them. After my initial review of all three, I liked Vue the best, but I've decided that I must learn and have experience/skills with React due to the amount of jobs that seem to be available. Vue might be very popular amongst Laravel hipsters, but that really means nothing to me. The one thing that I really hated about React though is the initial setup. I simply do not like trusting that a multitude of files being pulled in by a package manager is the best way. This evening I finally found an install procedure that suits me a little better:

https://www.valentinog.com/blog/react-webpack-babel/

... and with that hurdle cleared, I had a fun night of going through tutorials and feeling way more comfortable with React. I'm not really in love with the way props have to be passed down and up through components, but maybe Redux solves that annoyance. I plan to play with Redux tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply skunkbad. Sorry for my ignorance, but could you clarify what you mean by Angular, react and vue. I see these as front end frameworks whereas nodejs is mainly backend stuff.

I too am I bit fussy about the way nodejs acquires modules or middleware, actually this was one reason why I always disliked fragmented frameworks where you are assumed to acquire different modules via composer. I guess this is just how nodejs operates, so you are at the mercy of the repo author I guess.

Additionally, I know this might be a bit old school, but I feel quite content with jquery, and a few additional plugins for all my front end work. I didn't fancy investing the time to learn angular etc but I understand it is hot on the skills requirements these days.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB