Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Git best practices

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM by ciadmin.)

I think I need to use Git on my project. What should I be setting up? Is there a way to get git to upload on a nightly basis so the most I lose is one day? How about if I don't do full testing on a daily basis?
proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

I recommend a git tutorial, and use you terminal instead of some GUI. The tutorial I did (not free) was on udemy.

There is a wealth of info on the web, but as Skunkbad implies, you'll probably be better off paying for a good tutorial.

That said, this is probably the best free one to start with.
The tutorialspoint site is a bit more friendly than the above.
And then there is Learn Enough Git to Be Dangerous.

You will want to understand and be able to use the command line. When all is said and done most of the time you only use a few commands. If you do go looking for a GUI tool then take a look at GitKraken. It will run well on your new laptop.

It mostly depends on your team / project set-up, but it's best to keep pushing your changes as often as possible to remote repo-hosting provider so there are two copies at two different physical locations.

With branching, you don't have to worry about messing up latest working version until you've completed your work, but that could take weeks, so imho push often.

I suggest using Git in terminal instead of a GUI. Also, take a tutorial over the internet. This might help. Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB