Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upgrade from 1.7.0 ?

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 11:29 AM by alext.)

Hi guys.

I am looking at a project and I am not sure what to do with it.
It is done in codeigniter 1.7.0
I know programming but I never worked with codeigniter - which is quite unfortunate reading now about it looks quite fun.

This websites needs a complete redesign of how it looks and I also recommended a refactoring and upgrade of the codeigniter but they said nope - dont have the $ - which is really bad news.

Another problem is that this version uses some mysql which is not working anymore in php 7x so I will have to change my php and with that a hundred other problems - my other projects wont work, maybe mysql wont work anymore and so on.

They even suggested I hack the mysql_drive.php and replace the mysql_pconnect function - which again is not something I want to experiment with.

So my question is how hard would be for me to upgrade the codeigniter?

My system dorectory looks like

system

application
    cache
    codeigniter
    commerce
    database
    fonts
    helpers
    hanguage
    libraries
    logs
    plugins
    scaffolding
    events.php
    recaptchalib.php

How long could it take and is it doable?
What files and what directories should I take into the new codeigniter?

I am thinking to do this if it will take half a day or so.

Cheers

Re-write it from scratch.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

@alext,

While InsiteFX is probably right, here is a link that might help you ( https://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/i...ading.html ). Also, keep in mind that the previous link depends on whether or not the previous developers didn't touch the core files. Hopefully, they didn't.
And don't forget the PHP and MySQL versions as well. As you upgrade you may run into issues with code that has depreciated/no longer used. Good Luck!

Thanks

@alext,

Please feel free to let us know if you are successful in migrating or rewriting the code. Thx.

I installed a new codeigniter and ported the index page.
I fixed all kind of small issues like how constructor is called, how parent is called and so on and all seems to be fine now.
No real issue so far so is looking promising. Will keep you updated guys.

Cheers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB