Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Query Cache or Page Cache

[eluser]Kemik[/eluser]
Hello,

I'm creating a Wordpress-style dashboard for CIBase. Here's the general overview.

I'm going to need four queries, one for each box. The amount of work this puts on the server is obviously something that could be cut down. I was wondering which type of cache would be better in this situation?

Query cache: It will cache the results of each query. I can delete the query cache on submission of new code, new user registration, etc.

Page cache: This caches the whole page. I could set the refresh cash value to 15 mins.

Do you think it's even work caching the results? It's not like new code is being submitted every 5 minutes.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
Query cache: Would relieve load on the Database server only

Page cache: Would relive load on web and Database Servers, this would reduce the bandwidth required to serve the site.

I would go with Page Cache as this would relieve the overall server strain.

[eluser]Sean Murphy[/eluser]
The problem with only implementing a page cache is that you run into problems when certain portions of a page need to be "fresher" than others. In such a case it can be useful to use something along the lines of "content block" caching, or query caching as you mentioned. It really just depends on your situation.

Like WackyWebs.net said, you can cover more ground with a page cache.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB