Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
communication between codeigniter apps

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
[quote author="Thoer" date="1207096352"]Hey guys!

I'm working on a maillist application and I wonder how you'd solve the communication between frontend or backend system. For example I'd like provide an API for adding subscribers or sending out emails from the maillist queue from the frontend.[/quote]

What do you mean I never said it's a full app? You may have mistunderstood me and it might have been my fault, but it's not true I never said it's an application. It definietly is, it actually sits on top of CodeExtenguisher.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
Actually the title of this thread reads as 'communication between codeigniter apps'.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
[quote author="BorisK" date="1207251555"]You don't have to mix config files, tables and other components. That's what OOP is all about. Isolate your code from the rest and deal with one thing at a time. If your mailing list application has a lot of configuration options why not create a class for it, instantiate a class and set the config options via method calls. Or if a client needs to change a thing or too, use OO inheritance and overwrite certain features.[/quote]

As I said, it's going to be an open source project, kind of like phplist, but it's codeignited. Wink
I also said that I would like to provide an interface so it would be easy for others to use my maillist application to send messages to their subscribers. I don't think you needed to tell me off...

[eluser]BorisK[/eluser]
I was trying to help and now you're taking it all too seriously.

Quote:What do you mean I never said it’s a full app?

Where did I say this? All I said was that it would have been helpful to have all details about this from the start, like this:
"I'm working on an application that does .... It's build on top of .... It needs to talk to multiple apps, used by multiple users and ..."

Sure, it makes sense to use XML-RPC in this case.

[eluser]Thoer[/eluser]
[quote author="BorisK" date="1207253651"]I was trying to help and now you're taking it all too seriously.[/quote]

I appreciate your help, I really do, but I don't think it's only me who feels attacked when the old 'This reminds me of some of my clients' phrase pops up. Am I wrong here?

Again, I didn't mean to hold anything back, I felt I provided all the bits needed and I am sorry if you think I failed to do so. And once again, thanks for all the input guys!

I hope some of you'll get something valuable back this weekend.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
There are no CI-related docs, but Neophyte's Khaos Event Manager allows modules to trigger events which are associated with plugins (not plugins in the CI sense, but Khaos plugins). The Event Manager basically mimics the Joomla plugin API, so it essentially adds a more powerful plugin interface to CI. I found the Joomla API and plugin docs to be helpful to an extent. Thus if you have a lot of functions to use among many controllers, you could have your controllers trigger events which are observed by Event Manager (the Observer pattern). Event Manager, in turn, executes the plugin code associated with the event.

I've been doing a lot of experiments with the above and am attempting to write some docs to use Event Manager in conjunction with CI, Matchbox and Modular Extensions. The Event Manager is actually more powerful than the description on the support thread suggests, since it's possible to have different flavors of plugins (i.e., plugin abstraction based on the type of event). For example, multiple authentication plugins, multiple area text editors, etc. Various plugins could then be enabled using config options. More about this later.

The obvious advantage of using this approach is that you can design modules (MVC triads) which are loosely coupled to an application, allowing the modules and any associated plugins to be installed and uninstalled independently without breaking an application.

----------------
Regarding XML-RPC, it can become very useful on a single server if you wanted to create a single Admin console for administrating multiple sites (e.g., a domain with many subdomains). The ability to administrate sites on remote webservers is a added bonus.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB