Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Need a variable (VARCHAR) returned from a selection

I want a variable output, out of a selection in a pull down menu.

Below is the code for selection & it works for selection. But, it is not returning anything.
  <tr>
    <td>Consideration</td>
    <td>
    <select $name="basis">
        <option value="">--Select--</option>
        <option value="abc">ABC</option>
        <option value="pqr">PQR</option>
        <option value="xyz">XYZ</option>
    </select>
    </td>
  </tr>

echo $name

I get error. Notice: Undefined variable: name in C:\xampp\htdocs\Practice\misc\test1.php on line xx
( I am using above in a CodeIgniter based application in the middle of a another code but I am stuck up)

Kindly help with a suitable solution.

@Sovani Shreeniwas,

When you say...you want a variable output, out of a selection in a pull down menu. Is this after the selection by the user? Is this before the page is rendered with the drop down menu?

If you want a variable updates as soon as the user chooses you should use Javascript.

(02-19-2019, 12:55 AM)php_rocs Wrote: @Sovani Shreeniwas,

When you say...you want a variable output, out of a selection in a pull down menu.  Is this after the selection by the user?  Is this before the page is rendered with the drop down menu?
It is after selection by the user. I need a variable which will store value based on selection & I need to use this value in the next part of the code.

(02-19-2019, 02:06 AM)Nothing Wrote: If you want a variable updates as soon as the user chooses you should use Javascript.

Thanks. Can you suggest how to embed javascript with above code?

@Sovani Shreeniwas,

Nothing hit the nail right on the head. You will need to use javascript or jQuery to get the value.

There are many ways to do it. Here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFJ7St_ma8

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB