Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Should CI4 rewuire PHP7.3 as a minimum?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
48.89%
22 48.89%
No
40.00%
18 40.00%
Don't care
11.11%
5 11.11%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should CI-4 require PHP 7.3 ?

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2019, 02:57 PM by ciadmin.)

I ask because PHP7.2 goes into Security Fixes Only mode on 30 Nov 2019 and reaches the official EOL one year after that. (Chart here) It seems entirely possible that the official CI requirement might be past its prime by the time CI 4 is released.

I'm mostly just being curious It was the encryption poll that got me thinking about this. It seems the "build it in" vote is winning by 2-to-1 so the "'current" PHP version might be highly relevant at release time.

Good question, I am already using PHP 7.3.3
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I say leave it as it is. The reason why is because even though EOL is coming everyone doesn't upgrade immediately. It is easier (in my opinion) to keep the current baseline and make it work with the upcoming versions.

(03-09-2019, 06:37 PM)php_rocs Wrote: I say leave it as it is.  The reason why is because even though EOL is coming everyone doesn't upgrade immediately.  It is easier (in my opinion) to keep the current baseline and make it work with the upcoming versions.

I am using the middle version. Codeigniter should use the lowest supported php version.

By the time CI stable 4.0 is released, and then the general, less skilled, developers (such as myself) get our hands and test it, and put our 2 cents and bug reports in and it updates to 4.1 - I'm quite sure by that time ALL shared hostings will have 7.3 available (unless they're cheap and backwards then you shouldn't use 'em).

Maybe CI could benefit from trailing commas in function declarations and a better Heredoc Syntax - buuuuut I haven't even looked at the code once - so I can't say....

But for sure a 7.3 requirement would look good for "marketing" purposes Big Grin
You can see things I made with codeigniter here: itart.pro its not overly impressive as I have very little time to learn.

Are there any compelling reasons to consider 7.3 as a minimum version? (eg new features, new syntax, etc)
PHP7.2 made sense because 7.1 was out of active support, and for libsodium.

CI has historically tried to require as low a PHP version as practical, for maximum compatibility.
Moving to PHP7 was a big step, albeit a sensible one.
I've looked at what's new in 7.3, and nothing jumps out for me.

(03-10-2019, 02:30 PM)ciadmin Wrote: Are there any compelling reasons to consider 7.3 as a minimum version? (eg new features, new syntax, etc)
PHP7.2 made sense because 7.1 was out of active support, and for libsodium.

CI has historically tried to require as low a PHP version as practical, for maximum compatibility.
Moving to PHP7 was a big step, albeit a sensible one.
I've looked at what's new in 7.3, and nothing jumps out for me.

Perhaps it's a matter of exactly when v4 is released relative to Dec 1, 2019, when PHP 7.2 moves out of Active Support mode. It feels wrong to me to define the minimum acceptable version of PHP to be one that is not in active development. Then again, maybe it's a matter of 7.2 minimum and 7.3.latest recommended. No matter what it seems clear that testing under PHP 7.3.x should be pursued.

For me, the most compelling reason for consideration might just be the large number of bug fixes implemented starting with 7.3.0. There is a new patch version released every month too.

@Dave friend: Hmmm - CI4 is already beting tested against PHP 7.2 & 7.3 using travis-ci, and passing the tests using both versions.

We have configured it to work against the "PHP:nightly" version too, which doesn't run at all ... PHPunit doesn't work with PHP8.0.0-dev.

Having the minimum required version one that is actively supported makes sense, but I have yet to see a good reason to insist on or even recommend 7.3 Undecided

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 05:51 AM by puschie.)

would prefer to stay on 7.2

because its the latest version shipped with Ubuntu ( 18.04 ) and many of our clients dont allow custom php installation.

Edit: Or use 7.2 as min and 7.3 as recommended

(03-10-2019, 10:20 PM)ciadmin Wrote: @Dave friend: Hmmm - CI4 is already beting tested against PHP 7.2 & 7.3 using travis-ci, and passing the tests using both versions.

Then I guess all is right with the world. Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB