Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Layout question

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 02:12 PM by eincandela. Edit Reason: typo )

Hello,

i'm a little suprised by the way the layout system in CI4 works (or maybe i didn't understand it correctly)

As far as i get it from the docs, the view file must declare the layout it is inserted into by:

<?= $this->extend('default') ?>
<?= $this->section('content') ?>
<h1>Hello World!</h1>
<?= $this->endSection() ?>

But why should it be the responsibility of the view file to know that info?
If i go the CI4 approach and want to reuse a page into another layout i have to duplicate it (or tweak it by passing a view name into a variable) + if i want to change the layout for a bunch of page, i have to modify all of them.

I can find my peace with that by tweaking it a little, but i don't see the pros of that design choice ? Any opinion welcomed Smile

Emmanuel

This system matches what the Blade system in Laravel, Twigg Template Engine and others.

When you want to reuse portions you would consider the reused portion to be a partial view that doesn't extend anything. It would be called from a view that does extend a layout. This sounds weird at first blush but in the years I've built with the other engines mentioned, it's never been a problem. There is typically more stuff that surrounds the reusable content that is not reusable so it all works out.

Currently, I think there's a bug when trying to insert a view normally within a view so I need to revisit that this week, actually.

Of course - you have the option to continue not using layouts, also.

Thank you for that detailed answer Smile

Still a little skeptical but i guess it's a matter of taste in the end.

I faced the include view bug and found a solution on this forum (by extending the View class and adding a renderPartial method, wich should be included in the core i think imo

(03-12-2019, 02:18 PM)eincandela Wrote: Thank you for that detailed answer Smile

Still a little skeptical but i guess it's a matter of taste in the end.

I faced the include view  bug  and found a solution on this forum (by extending the View class and adding a renderPartial method, wich should be included in the core i think imo

Glad it helped. That new method is what I intended to do. A couple of other things need to be looked at also, but that's the first one to be done!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB