Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
User configurable controller factory

This is related to DI (dependency injection) but I want to make it clear up front that I am not just talking about DI i.e. this is not a duplicate of https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-61345.html et al.

This is a subtly different feature request as implementing a user-configurable controller factory would permit end-users to implement DI differently if they wanted to do so.

In CodeIgniter\CodeIgniter::createController() (framework/system/CodeIgniter.php) controllers are instantiated with the new keyword. If this was extracted to a factory class (perhaps resolvable via the Services configuration file) then end-users would be able to manage dependency injection for their controllers.

A quick example implementation:

PHP Code:
  /**
     * In app/Config/Services.php
     * @param string $requestedName
     * @return object
     */
    public static function controllerFactory($requestedName)
    {
        return new $requestedName;

With CodeIgniter\CodeIgniter::createController() altered to call this user-configurable factory:

PHP Code:
    /**
     * Instantiates the controller class.
     * @return mixed
     */

protected function createController()
    {

$class Services::controllerFactory($this->controller);

$class->initController($this->request$this->responseServices::logger());

$this->benchmark->stop('controller_constructor');

return 
$class;
    } 

So far this would work exactly the same as the current controller instantiation but the instantiation has been moved into user space allowing end-users to instantiate controllers differently. An alternative implementation of the controllerFactory service might look like this:

PHP Code:
    /**
     * In app/Config/Services.php
     * @param string $requestedName
     * @return object
     */

public static function controllerFactory($requestedName)
    {

if(is_subclass_of($requestedName, \App\Controllers\CustomBaseController::class)) {

return new $requestedName(static::getSharedInstance('example'));

}

return new $requestedName;
    } 

Or it could be quite different. The point being that it is user-configurable. Thoughts?

I'll be honest - I'm a little fuzzy on what people would use it for, but I'm all for it. send in a PR.

What people could use it for: at present it seems that CI4 only supports service location in a base controller class, which is fine but many people prefer to inject dependencies via the constructor. Moving the controller class instantiation into user space allows end-users to write factory classes or factory methods (located in, for example, app/Config/Services.php), allowing them to implement dependency injection as they see fit.

Thank you for being receptive and for the suggestion of sending a PR, I will likely to do so.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB