Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Has any one tried to build a CMS upto the size and complexity of Joomla or EE on CI?

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
Hi, i was just wondering if any one has tried building a CMS up at the size and complexity of joomla or EE with CodeIgniter?

I know EE 2.0 is on it's way but i was wondering if there were projects out there to this standard?

[eluser]richthegeek[/eluser]
I'm pretty sure EE is written in CI.

[eluser]kevinprince[/eluser]
New version of EE is, and fairs as i can see theres no reason you couldnt do it yourself apart from why ?

[eluser]Leggy[/eluser]
Could you just add a 'No' option because it can be done, but i am not building one or have seen one.

[eluser]nmweb[/eluser]
It's possible but I would do some serious hacking to CI. Better support for modularity for example but also a more integrated support for multi-lingual content. I'm curious to see how EE2 is build upon CI and where they felt there were shortcomings in CI. I think Rick Ellis said somewhere EE2 was built on an almost stock version of CI and I'd like to see his approach.

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
If I needed a Joomla, I would just use Joomla. Trying to build something like that on CodeIgniter seems like a waste of time unless your name is Ellislab. Look at the the developers they have and the hours that have gone into building the system. The beauty of CI is that you can rapidly build exactly what you need. This means you don't have to deal with the daunting challenge of having to build a Joomla for every project. If developers had to do that, nothing would ever get done.

If you want to do something for the CodeIgniter community, there are probably a lot more interesting libraries that could be added rather than building yet another CMS.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
I was just wondering if anyone had tried something of this scale, im not going to try it just yet, but I may do in after EE2 has been released.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB