Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: What's your preferred front-end tech for pre-built backend systems?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
None - just reload the page
12.07%
7 12.07%
jQuery still rocks my world
41.38%
24 41.38%
React.js
12.07%
7 12.07%
Vue.js
34.48%
20 34.48%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Bonfire: favorite frontend tech?

When I created Bonfire years and years ago, it was the result of some patterns I had used in the last 2-3 large sites I had used, with a couple of additional tools that I wanted included. Ironically, right after releasing that I got a full-time contract job for a company with its own base software for a couple of years, followed by a couple of years with a company doing a custom CI sites that didn't need the backend. For the last 3 years the company I've not been doing freelance stuff anymore. All of this to say, I never actually used Bonfire on a project.

For the first couple of years I never got much feedback about anyone using it. Eventually someone else took over maintaining it, and they've since moved on, which has left it languishing for a little bit, for which I apologize. CI4 has taken over my spare time for the last few years.

I've had several personal project ideas over the years I've been developing CI4 that I'd like to eventually tackle, all of which could benefit from an updated Bonfire, so I'm starting the planning phases of that, but won't start working on it until CI hits an official release.

For the admin area, though, I was wondering what sort of preferences the community at large had for front end technology to build the admin out, if any? It would be easiest to do without, but it's also more impressive to clients when the SPA thing happens and they get more immediate responses. And everything in between.

So - if you were using a pre-built backend, what would you prefer?

@kilishan,

Would you consider Bootstrap a front-end tech to use? I'm a huge Bootstrap and jQuery fan but recently I've been looking into VueJS.

@php_rocs

Was more curious about which javascript platform. While Bootstrap includes some jQuery-based elements, I believe you can find pre-made components in both React and Vue to take their place.

(06-03-2019, 08:34 AM)kilishan Wrote: When I created Bonfire years and years ago, it was the result of some patterns I had used in the last 2-3 large sites I had used, with a couple of additional tools that I wanted included. Ironically, right after releasing that I got a full-time contract job for a company with its own base software for a couple of years, followed by a couple of years with a company doing a custom CI sites that didn't need the backend. For the last 3 years the company I've not been doing freelance stuff anymore. All of this to say, I never actually used Bonfire on a project.

For the first couple of years I never got much feedback about anyone using it. Eventually someone else took over maintaining it, and they've since moved on, which has left it languishing for a little bit, for which I apologize. CI4 has taken over my spare time for the last few years.

I've had several personal project ideas over the years I've been developing CI4 that I'd like to eventually tackle, all of which could benefit from an updated Bonfire, so I'm starting the planning phases of that, but won't start working on it until CI hits an official release.

For the admin area, though, I was wondering what sort of preferences the community at large had for front end technology to build the admin out, if any? It would be easiest to do without, but it's also more impressive to clients when the SPA thing happens and they get more immediate responses. And everything in between.

So - if you were using a pre-built backend, what would you prefer?

I prefer vuejs. Currently i am creating a queue dashboard for codeigniter 4(horizon). It will be a composer packages. One of my problems is the install and update script Smile.

(06-03-2019, 09:34 AM)php_rocs Wrote: @kilishan,

Would you consider Bootstrap a front-end tech to use? I'm a huge Bootstrap and jQuery fan but recently I've been looking into VueJS.

Bootstrap 5 remove jquery

(06-03-2019, 09:51 AM)kilishan Wrote: @php_rocs

Was more curious about which javascript platform. While Bootstrap includes some jQuery-based elements, I believe you can find pre-made components in both React and Vue to take their place.

In that case my vote is for VueJS

I only want html and css for pre-built, because CI is a php framework.

(06-03-2019, 11:50 PM)titounnes Wrote: I only want html and css for pre-built, because CI is a php framework.

Not asking for the framework, I'm asking for a pre-built backend, specifically a newer version of Bonfire.

I would definitely opt for vuejs, there's a few little things jquery does but you can always use the two together.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

I have a strong preference against any path that requires installation via a non-Composer package manager. I know all three of the options have CDN versions.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB