Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Nubie Question

[eluser]sundancekid[/eluser]
I'm sure this is explained some place, but I have not been able to find it... So if I write several applications/websites with CI and then a year later when the CI is on a new version - am I supposed to go back and update all the sites with the new version? Is it ok to leave an old version running? Or is that a big security no-no? What have been your experience with code breaking on upgrades? I'm guessing there are new and improved ways of doing things and depreciated ways of doing things?

Thanks for any feedback.

[eluser]Seppo[/eluser]
Usually, CI has great backwards compatibility. However, if I have a site running and I am not working on it (fixing bugs, adding stuff) I would just leave it as is...
But if you want to continue working, upgrading would be really cool.
The steps to do so:
- Try it on another server
- Run step by step the upgrade instructions (http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...ading.html)
- Check if nothing has broken
- BACK UP YOUR ENTIRE SITE in case you need to rollback
- Start with live doing this CI user guide recomendation: Before performing an update you should take your site offline by replacing the index.php file with a static one.
- Try to check the upgrade with a private access (index.php is static, so create a dummy.php with the same functionality).
- Check the site
- Change the config so the site works with index and not with dummy
- Update your index.php file and pray
- Check the site (It's always nice to)

[eluser]sundancekid[/eluser]
Thanks Seppo!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB